1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passive Spector...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thundar, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Ive decided to take one of my Spector NS2A's and install passive P/J pickups into it...Im leaning towards the Dimarzio set (DP126)...but am wondering if any of you fellow Spector lovers have made this mod on one of yours and what pickups youve used...or if you have any recommendations on another brand?
    (I already have 2 Kramer Spector NS2C's that have passive Spector pickups in them and I love the way they sound...so Im not worried about losing that Spector growl by going passive.)

2. azarias

azarias

Mar 19, 2009
    Hmm, I am an NS2 owner also and i am curious about your motivation. I have considered changing pickups before. However, i always decided it was a silly idea. Lately i have thought about it again. hehe
    So i am just curious why?
    I know if i did go passive i would want to try out some Delano pickups.

3. Thundar

Just for fun really...LOL...well, like I said I have two NS2C's that are passive and I really like the way they sound, but they are bolt-on neck...so I have an extra NS2A and thought I would give it a shot and see what happens...I can always put the stock electronics back in if I dont like it...or throw a set of EMG's in it.

4. azarias

azarias

Mar 19, 2009
    If you toss em in there please let me know how it sounds. 8)

5. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Not being a big EMG fan myself, I thought why not?

These are a set of Stan Hinsleys HAS sound with cream covers he sent me the wiring harness too.

We did find that on a Spector (this one was an NS4) that the bridge pickup is Fender neck size!

SpectorNS-4-page.

:) ... When I sold the bass I put the EMGs back in it

6. Thundar

WOW...that looks very cool!

7. Johnny810

Johnny810

Apr 5, 2009
    Hey I have a new Rebop Deluxe if you remove the battery and put a jumper from the white lead on one of the volume pots to the purple wire on the out put jack you are passive, keep in mind that the Rebop uses EMGHZ pickups so you have a passive set there to try now I have to figure out a switch mod that will allow me to keep the battery connected and just flip a switch between active and passive you would have to use some caution to make sure that went you go active from passive mode you don't get a large volume boost and fry a preamp this is something I'm working on. If someone has made this mod let me know it could be a life saver if a battery should quit in the middle of a song, I do always have a bass back up tuned and ready to go!!