1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

passive with active??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SSCBA, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Hi, I wanted to know if it's possible to mix passive pickups with active in the same bass, having an active preamp. I have a Spector with 2 EMG-SSD and would like to upgrade one for a EMG-CS40 and let the older SSD in the bass.

2. You would have a problem with the volume difference between each pup, probably. The passive has got less output and so it could be:

1-annoying if used with a pickup switch
    2-pretty much unnoticeable in a blended pickup sound.

Dunno if it's a possible solution, but you could get separate outputs for each pickup and connect a boost pedal to the passive pickup output, then merge it to your normal sound chain.

Just an idea that came to my mind while writing.

3. Yes it could be.... but it will be more expensive than buying two actives
    And what happens if I put a 250k pot for the passive and a 25k for the active?
    thanks

4. Well, don't know a lot of pots... but I don't think it would be a good solution. Let's see if someone can get some light on the pots thing.