Pastorius twins=funky

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Feb 24, 2005.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Sounds as if they were just jamming on it as opposed to a tune they've worked on to the point of tightness! Maybe it's just me but I'm always expecting more out of these legacies. Sounds good though.
  2. I hate to say it - as these guys shouldn't be expected to better their father's standards - but that is really dissapointing - I don't think they'd necessarily want this to be judged as a proper recording - it definitely sounds like a loose jam to my ears. Felix has got a deep pocket though - and I'd like to hear a better recording by them before I made any more judgements on thier abilities.

3. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Its not bad, there pretty good.
  4. +1

So far what I've heard hasn't really done anything for me. Maybe there is more to come.
  5. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Sounds like they're about 1 1/2 cases into a party. Talk about loose.

6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Meh, not impressed.
  7. I betcha Geddy's kid plays better than Jaco's kids... :eek: :bassist:
  8. Each to his own, I guess....
    Felix sure is one helluva bassist. He is indeed very inspired by his father, but still not a bad rippoff, imho. He got's lot of energy in his playing - wich I like. I heard the recordings he did with John Coffin (Hope I got the name right, I may mix it up.) at a very young age. Good playing.
    Julius, however, seems more like your average sloppy drummer...:D

As far as this recording goes - what makes you think it's more than a loose jam?

Another old recording of Felix playing bass:[1].mp3
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Now that was a much better recording and more enjoyable. That first recording you posted was definitely a jam situation. Not sure if everyone knew the song because it seemed some didn't know when and where to go. It was very loose. Not tight and worked out like this one. I don't think anyone is saying the kids can't play but more like they get a lot of attention due to the family name but are in reality, average to slightly above average musicians. I'd love to see and hear them live though. Just my opinion.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How 'bout Jaco's newphew, David?
    IMO, he does a great job on that Jaco Big Band Revisted disc.
  11. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I would cut the kids a little slack! I'm pretty sure that's why Felix hasn't released anything just know people will be gunning for him. Matthew Garrison had to ease into the scene too :cool:
  13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    matthew had the chops to back it up though :ninja:
  14. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    I think you people are being tought on them. Its problem not easy for them living in the shadow of thier dad. I dont think Felix is that bad of a bassist hes not Jaco, but he can play.
  15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    he may not be that bad of a bassist, but i know im going to be tough on him if hes landing gigs and getting free fodera's based on his name alone rather than his playing. this board is probably full of guys that are "not that bad of a bassist" and if thats all it takes.....

dont get me wrong though, id take advantage of the same opportunities if they were in front of me :D
  16. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Ahh yes i see where you are coming from with that and i agree on that. Playing wise he might not be up there with the best but hes not at the bottom with either.
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I personally think they should move away from playing any Jaco, Weather Report and related music and just do their own thing! Make their own way in musicdom! His 'slapped' version of Teen Town.......................sigh!
  18. I saw Felix do a solo on a Drummer's Collective DVD, it was pretty good. But he came on after Victor wooten did a mean solo.
  19. ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    Dave Pastorious is a great player. Dave and I used to live in Melbourne, Fl and I had the pleasure of jamming with him on several occassions.
    He's loaded with natural talent and can play just about anything in any style. Even though he could play the pants off me, he was always very complimentary and humble.