Pastorius / Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Cliff Bordwell, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  2. I would be checking it out, but unfortunately I'm a computer illiterate guy trying to use mandrake linnux. :help:
  3. I wish they would've showed the solo...sounded pretty blistering.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002

But don't you think that's sort of a natural occurance when you compare the person playing the piece they wrote and the person playing a cover of it?

I enjoyed how Vic made it look like he was just playing root-5s. :D
  5. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings

He may not have "read" that song before, but I'm sure he's known it for a long time. He plays part of it in the Bass Day '98 video and says "I don't know any bass player who hasn't learned that song", or something to that effect.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    He was probably just reading the arrangement.
  7. :rolleyes:

sounded pretty dead on to me. that piece doesnt exactly ooze soul no matter who plays it. now jacos slower harmonic littered pieces can be very soulful, but teen town? thats like saying a 13 year old girl singing britney spears in a talent show "lacked the soul of the original artist"
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I just like how he had some fun with it, going off beat and coming back, stretching notes, throwing in some harmonics, playing off the other players really well...etc.
  9. I can't stream the Real Audio here at work, but I have heard Wooten's version of Teen Town on the Word Of Mouth Revisited disc. I thought Victor did a good job with the melody with some his quirks that he added. I didn't care for the triplet slapping stuff in the solo though, which I understand that Wooten reluctantly added because they (producer and band) asked him to. I'm not sure how Victor could have added Jaco's "soul" to the rendition though. Maybe the producer asked him to leave that out. Hmmm....
  10. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    listen harder.
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    And then should vic record it with every single nuance and whatever, people'd say "man, he just played it like jaco played it, he needs to do something fresh with it"

I prefer the original to this by far, but, wooten still had some fun with it, did some neat stuff, and at the end of the day, I haven't listened to that album in many months.
  12. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Like previously stated, the paper is only there as some sort of guide. Vic,s good but not that good (he's not known for reading written parts, meaning dots, rests and rythms)!!
    Now Abe Laborial or Neil Stubenhaus are real deal real readers who just might pull it off.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Let Marcus Miller have a go at it! :D In defense of Victa, he was probably playing it cold and it's probably not a tune he plays or practices on a daily basis! There's only one Jaco!
  14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow! I have to say I flat out agree with Jeff, 100%. There is a command, a presence that Jaco has, that for some reason Vic falls flat on. To be perfectly honest, I might think that a Talkbass amateur player had played that version, not a virtuoso, supremely talented bassist like Wooten. While one recording does not make or break anyone's career ever, I feel that Jeff's assessments are quite astute.
  15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hey, at least Vic gave it a whirl.
    If you guys really want to hear a smokin' cover of Teen Town you gotta check out Uncle Sammy! This little known, now defunct band out of Boston were all Berklee grads and they absolutely ruled that tune. You can find some of their shows on the Live Music Archive. IMO Brian O'Connell plays it better than Vic - no joke, and Tom Arey on the skins is quite impressive. I believe they sent a recording to the Pastorius family and got the go ahead to cover it. O'Connell is currently gigging with the Gordon Stone Band (not a bad step up) - he's got monster chops and is a very talented slapper as well - look to see this guys name a lot in the future.
  16. i had an mp3 somewhere round here with him playin it slapped (and live iirc), was great!
  17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm not sure anyone could have made that arrangement sound good.

Why doesn't anyone comment on the drumming, the tempo, the accompaniment etc?

18. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    IMO the biggest difference is in the dynamics. Jaco has a greater dynamic range then Vic (in this particular case) and I think thats the reason some have said Vics take lacks the feeling that Jaco had on the original.
  19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    man, im going to have to start taking some of these talkbass comments and putting them in a presskit :eek: :D
  20. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    as for the wooten take on teen town, i dont think its that bad. i dont find the original to be that much of a masterpiece to begin with. if joe zawinul decided he was only going to use one jaco piece on heavy weather i would take havona over teen town all day long.

teen town is to bass geeks what giant steps is for tenor players. you learn it to say you can play it even though they arent that compostionally amazing.