Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Patrick O'Hearn

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Octave Doctor, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Anyone know if Patrick O'Hearn is still playing? He was an incredible bassist (see Purple Lagoon/Approximate Zappa - Live in New York).

2. the last I heard, Patrick O'Hearn was doing new age stuff.

his playing on "Rubber Shirt" scared the bejeebers out of me, though!

:eek:

from the low end,

Stew

3. PH is indeed still playing but he has moved into a new age composer producer phase playing keyboards and bass. His fretless bass tone is still one of the most beautiful around IMO.

4. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    Some of the notes that Patrick played on 'Rubber Shirt' do not exist on most basses.That said,only a genuious like Frank Zappa could have brought together two musical pieces that were played independantly and in isolation of each other.Stay cool,"Fallon".

5. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I need to hear this guy. I've only heard him with Missing Persons.:(

6. hey Trip,

if you've still got a tape recorder I can get you some of the Zappa stuff and some of the first new age pieces...

from the lowest,

Stew

7. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I've still got one!:)

8. I'll get started looking for the tapes and get to work duping 'em...

;)

from the depths,

Stew

9. Make sure you send hime a live copy of Purple Lagoon/Approximate. And Ohearn aside, a copy of the Grand Wazoo and Waka / Jawaka. Oh, and a copy of the Baby Snakes recording - and put some Mothers in there as well.. And dont forget ...... etc.

10. Baby Snakes! have you ever watched the video? whew! talk about high octane...

:D

from the depths,

Stew

11. Yes, An American friend sent me a copy a few years ago. That stage looks like a fun place to be!

I come back to Zappa every couple of years and never cease to be amazed of that mans grasp of music.

12. truly an underappreciated genius. when people say they don't like his music, I quietly nod and as the day goes on discreetly work One Size Fits All into the music rotation. inevitably they ask who it is and I smile when I tell them it's Zappa.

:D

from the lows,

Stew

13. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    He plays on Sleep Dirt, one of my fav Zappa albums. There is some SERIOUS ripping bass all over that album!

14. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    patrick o'hearn is great. i love the sound he got on "rubber shirt." gotta be a p-bass, right? a fretless too, probably.

if you can stand new age music, his solo disc called "el dorado" is excellent and very eclectic ... there's a tune on there with a woman singing in persian.

also, a beautiful and simple fretless melody on the tune "chattahoochee field day" ... i learned it note-for-note the day i got the disc (and i almost never do that anymore) ...

zappa was a true genius ... saw him once at fairleigh dickenson university here in NJ ... it was an election year, and he had voter registration kiosks in the lobby with signs above them that read, "lick bush in '88." :D

also, the drummer (i believe it may have been chester thompson) had a clothesline strung around his kit with panties clipped to it! :eek:

the highlight of that show was his encore of "stairway to heaven" ... he had a three-piece horn section play jimmy page's solo note-for-note ... it was amazing, but i can't remember if patrick o'hearn was the bassist that evening.

15. you'd love the album The Greteatest Band You Never Heard. awesome stuff, including "Stairway".

chances are that the player he had by the time you saw him was Scott Thunes, who played with him from the mid-80's on.

from the low end,

Stew

16. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    Great posts above regarding Zappa.Anyone got any
    comments about his version of 'Bolero'(in case you do not know,a classical piece of music usually associated with the British ice-skaters,Torvil+Dean) I think he got taken to court under copyright issues but prior to said,he did a superb version of it over a reggae backing.
    "Almost" certain Patrick O'Hearn played on that track which was live.Nonetheless,a nice thread 'bout a very talented bassist.Stay cool,"Fallon".

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hmmm...personally, Ravel's "Bolero" will always be associated with Bo Derek(re-visit 10 with Dudley Moore).
    ;)

On topic(for a change)-
    Love O'Hearn with Zappa & Missing Persons.
    I do have 3 of his New Age discs...none really float my boat.