Paul D'Amour's sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Jul 25, 2005.

1. LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    hey i searched and couldn't find what i wanted so i'll try asking. Does anyone know how to get Pauls sound. I know he uses Rics and Mesa boogie amps but does he do any special picking techniques or what. I've been trying to get a sound like on sober or Hush but i can't quite get the highs or the lows to sound close to his. Any tips on getting a Paul sound?
  2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    at any given point and time paul used:

ovation magnum bass
    rickenbacker chris squire bass
    stingray bass
    mesa cabs and amps
    ashdown amps
    a distortion pedal
    a chorus pedal
    and a **** load of agressive picking.
  3. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I'm a big Rickenbacker & Paul D'Amour fan. Never knew about the Magnum though...very cool.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've found a good way to get his sound. It's with a Jazz bass. This is what you do.

Passive Jazz Bass:
    Bridge Pickup - Off
    Neck Pickup - Cranked
    Tone - Highest

Ampeg- Mind you my Ampeg has some set settings. If you have an Ampeg, put it on the 2 setting.:
    Highs - 3 o'clock
    Mids - Cranked
    Lows - Cranked

Then pick basically as hard as you can without knocking the string out of the nut. Tell me if it works for you.

5. Didnt know Paul ever used a whammy, Atleast from what my ears could pick up. Any songs inperticular?
    Ive been messing with my Mag 300's settings and ive come pretty close with my 4001, But Im still lacking the crunch, I think thats where I need the overdrive. i've been meaning to pick up that boss OD anyway...

Hey Zon, Too busy for the Ol' Lol, etc.
  6. Just a guess, but he may have recorded direct or XLR out from amp maybe?
    The speakers might have a slight spin on it from the amp.. dunno, just a guess.... it's not like he sounded EXACTLY like he did live as he did on the album, there's always lots of variables with professional recording techniques and mixing rather than just playing strait through your rig. Well good luck!
  7. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i still visit those boards. however, the people there bother me. so i dont often post.

i know paul owned the whammy. wetheror not he used it...who knows.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Paul's tone is RIC! For the most part, the way to get Paul's sound is to get a Ric... I mean you can come close with toys/different EQ settings, but if you want that sound... Ric.

9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    True dat man. He has one of the best Ric-tastic tones ever.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    When I can finally afford a Ric... I'm probably going to buy an upright bass. ;)

But once I have my upright bass, and can afford a Ric...

... I'll probably have to buy my girl a wedding ring. :( :eek:
  11. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It's too bad man...

You could get her a Ric... she'd probably never play it...
  12. Indeed, It is at an all time low, It was definitely better before it went down, Now even more assholes have signed up. Although some more of the old memebers have come back.