Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Jackson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Oct 29, 2004.

1. I have always considered myself to be in the know when it comes to great bass players. I had never really listened to any Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters stuff, but today I got some of it and man, can Paul Jackson groove! I am currently listening to the song Skank It from Return of the Headhunters. Great tone, great groove, good stuff.

Are there any other "must hear" Paul Jackson tunes?

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Get "Thrust" by Herbie Hancock and make sure you are wearing diapers when you listen - it will make you will loose your stool.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Every bass player needs to listen to Thrust.

Paul Jackson and Mike Clark are The Bomb.

Alex

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thrust & The Headhunters(the album with "Sly" & "Chameleon"; Harvey Mason is on cans...I do prefer Jackson with the Bay Area Funk that Clark brings to the table).

Also-
    ...you can see Jackson doin' his thing on Gov't Mule's DVD The Deepest End.

(Hope you're 'in the know' with George Porter, Jr)

5. Also check out "Flood" Herbie Hanock Live and "V.S.O.P." around 1976 I think. On Flood, the quartet is rounded out by guitarist Blackbird McKnight and it kicks serious bum.

The V.S.O.P. Album features three different ensembles as I recall, but the last one has his funk band with Billy Hart on drums and Ray Parker Junior on guitar. It's the funkiest Herbie I've ever heard and Paul Jackson just tears it to shreds. :D

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    That is a very nice Recording.check out Evolution Revolution by the HeadHunters and the Paul Jackson/Mike Clark recording The Funk Stops Here.and while you're at it you might as well
    http://www.pauljackson.jp/

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I also agree about Flood! If you can find it...check it out, some very serious funk on there :bassist:

8. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    by the way, Paul Jackson's use of wah and fuzz is really tasteful! ;)

9. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Another must have is the album "Survival of the Fittest". The Headhunters at a pinnacle. Own it.

10. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi fellows,
    do you know what PJ is using.... gear wise?
    I can't find info.
    Thank you

Mo'

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A good place to check out Paul Jackson is an instructional video that he and Mike Clark made called Rhythm Combination. It was produced by Rittor Music in 1992. They have good demonstrationsequences and performance sequences. Paul Jackson is a decent singer too!

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    In the Deepest End DVD/booklet, Jackson is playing an ESP bass(I'm assuming it's his 'cause it has some "Paul Jackson battle scars".

In the past, I've seen Jackson with a either a Fender P or J.

I agree with Flood...I had forgot about it; don't know how, the whole darn album is on my mp3 player.