Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Loranger - Eric Sardinas Band

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tplyons, Oct 30, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Remembering back to March when I saw Steve Vai in concert, I remember seeing Paul on stage and thinking to myself that I remembered him from somewhere, then it dawned on me, those old Carvin ads. But then it hit me he wasn't playing Carvins, and I caught him after the show to chat about that, and he was just beginning the permanent switch to G&L basses, I met his G&L rep and we all chatted. Long story short, who else knows about Paul Loranger, I thought he really grooved well with Eric Sardinas and I really felt his playing in my chest, nice bassy, but still tonal.

Whattya'll think?

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I haven't kept up with him or Eric's band but I have seen Paul's postings on the Carvin bbs from time to time. Does he still use their amps?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't recall the amps he was using.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I caught Paul with Eric Sardinas a couple years back, and he sounded great playing a Carvin! I remember thinking it was cool he was playing a bass he endorsed, because we all know how that goes. :eyebrow: The other thing I remember besides the whole band sounding great was, there where only about 15 people there at the time, and they came out and played like it was a full stadium........that seperates the pros from the wana-bees....they came to play!!!!! :bassist:

5. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    I saw him on wednesday nigh and he was using an unmarked neck through p bass. :eyebrow:

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    He was using that same bass when I saw him in newcastle...I notcied that the pickups were also very low on it...

He grooved very well though, really solid considering Eric's style of soloing. I was particularly pleased at that gig, as I was dead center in the secind row, and my brother was able to catch Eric's Preaching Pipe Slide when he threw it into the crowd :D

7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I know Paul fairly well, I've opened for Sardinas 3 times, and saw the Vai tour a few months back. I got to hang back stage in Eric's dressing room and have a few cold ones...
    Paul was hangin there too, but he didnt play the gig that night. He's a great player, real solid.

Slug

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Enough to invite him to join TB?

Pauls one of my favorite players out there.

:hyper:

9. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I'll surely run it by him next time I see him....

Slug

10. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    A note to the UK guys on this thread. That wasn't Paul you saw last week with Eric Sardinas. He isn't in his band anymore..... :meh:

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Paul's no longer playing with Eric then? Does anyone know what he's doing now?

12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    This is true. Paul is no longer in the band.... I'll try and find
    out what he's up to..

Slug

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The guy who is with Eric Sardinas now is incredibly uninspired. Plays a stock P Bass and has an incredibly undefined tone, you could barely hear what he was doing though most of it was just roots of chords. What a contrast to Billy Shehan who played with Vai though, his tone cut through well despite the sound man idiocy which involved huge amounts of high mids to violate the listeners ears and not much else.

14. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Eric's new bass player is Levell Price. I talked with him for a couple minutes backstage at the show in Anaheim, he seemed like an ok guy, and from where I was watching the show down in the photo pit, his P-bass sounded ok to me.
    I heard that Eric changed bass players because he wanted to toughen up the band's sound, and go for a more heavy rock edge.

Slug

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like Eric made a mistake. I thought Paul and Eric were a good match. Paul really helped Dobro-boy keep that bluesy sound.

I guess he's going for more Pantera with a dobro?

16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    That Dobro kinda wears thin on me sometimes to be honest.
    It would be interesting if Eric could fit some straight guitar into his act. 3 chords and a Dobro can only go so far...

Slug

17. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Well that blows!! Tell Eric, Johnny Winter called, and he wants his persona back......jk :bag:

18. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Yeah! Johnny Winter....I opened for Johnny about
    5 years ago. It was us, Eric Sardinas, and then Johnny..
    Johnny was absolutely pathetic...Just awful..He looked
    like hell and his playing was worse..He even had a couple
    hecklers that night. I felt bad for the guy. He looked like
    a dead man..

Slug

19. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Johnny Winters old bassist Mark Epstein lives and gigs out here. He filled in for me when I was in the hospital this past summer.....he's a great player, I'm surprised I got my gig back :eek:

20. Real 57 Precision

Real 57 Precision

Nov 3, 2015
    Great news- my pal Paul *IS BACK* playing with Eric Sardinas. They reconnected in April of 2016.

I hope Eric has learned from his mistakes.