1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paul McCartney

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Mods, I'm posting this in OT because I'm not talking about Paul as a bassist.

I'm talking about him as a songwriter and musician.

Over the weekend, my brother and I bought his new DVD "The Space Between Us" For my mom. And WOW.

This man is a genius. From the old songs, to his new songs, he's going down in history.

Songs like:

I'll Follow the Sun
    I will
    Till there was you
    Jenny Wren

Jenny Wren especially. It made me cry! It's so beautiful!

Share your thoughts about Sir Paul!

2. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    right on! Sir Paul is an amazing song writer and musician. (i'm an avid beatles fan) :D

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hey Mark! Actually, "Till There Was You" is a song from Meredith Willson covered by the Fab Four. Beatles' version became the most popular. :)

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    In that case, this should perhaps be in "Miscellaneous"?

But yes, I agree about Macca - definitely one of the most influential figures in popular music that there has ever been. It amuses or annoys me (depending on my mood at the time) to hear people disparage him whilst talking up Lennon. This tends to be non-musos who do this and they've clearly missed the point, IMO. Both of these people had special talents and the combination of these was one of the major factors that made the Beatles as phenomenal as they undoubtedly were.

If you're interested in learning more about Macca, The Beatles and the Sixities scene in general over here, then I can enthusiastically recommend the biography "Many Years From Now", by Barry Miles - long and detailed, well worth the effort.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Music related = Miscellaneous.

Subject matter's so good, though, it almost makes me feel like cheating and keeping it here.

Has anyone heard his latest Chaos and Creation in the Backyard? I read that he plays all the instruments on some cuts.

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I think Sir Paul is one of the greatist of his generation and maybe in the top ten of all generations. He does it all and does it all well.

To quote one of the greatist public speakers of our generation Fred Durst, I'm in "agreeance" with Mark Wilson...;)

7. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    so i was reading and saw fred durst and paul maccartney mentioned in the same post. blood shot out of my nose.

8. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    From allmusic:
    "Apart from a guitar part or two, a couple of drum tracks, and, of course, the strings and horns that pop up now and again, McCartney played everything here, from the guitars and keyboards down to the bass and drums."

Yes, I've got it, and it's really great. Very low-key, though. More tea and scones than beer and pop-corn, so to speak.

9. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    Brilliant and talented man in many respects. Lucky too to meet the other guys when he did.