PC Help needed- psychotic mouse problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Sep 30, 2004.

1. the problem is the mouse pointer darts erratically around the screen, clicking on windows etc. randomly.

it happens at random times- and sometimes the PC crashes completely-

spec (on a 5yr old PC) is Windows 98SE (it also happened on 98), Logitech 3-button mouse (also happened on a Mitsumi mouse), Pentium III 450, QDI BX motherboard

I've run Grisoft's antivirus and spybot- nothing found.

is it just a case of knackered motherboard? or processor, even?
    time i got a new PC?

2. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    What brand is your mouse? You may want to check online to see if there are any newer drivers available. If there are that can solve your problem.
  3. I've downloaded Logitech's latest drivers- no improvement.

another problem- when typing the above the speaker started beeping and the text i was typing stopped showing up.
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    If its an old Ball Mouse (not optical) it could just be really dirty. Might open it up and clean it off with some alcohol and q-tips. Might be too simple a solution, but hey, Ive seen several simple things like that overlooked before hehe.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    is it a wireless mouse? if so, check the batteries. we get this all the time, and fresh batteries solves the problem.

if it is not a wireless mouse, then you have far deeper issues than the mouse. i would explore the possibilty of a fresh 98 install. sometimes, it doesn't take long for the entire OS to get corrupt when one device goes bad.

6. I have an optical mouse and it occassionally(sp?) goes off on mentalist runs across the screen.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I had an optical mouse previously that worked flawlessly on my laptop. However when I moved it over to my desktop it would make crazy, unpredictable movements when I would move it too quicky. This pretty much shut down my gaming fun for a while. I tried new drivers and everything and nothing fixed it. Finally I saw a Logitech optical mouse for 13 bucks at Big Lots so I bought that. Voila! No more problems. Turned out my computer just didn't like that cheaper optical mouse. I had the same problem when I'd tried another memorex optical mouse too. However, if you have a Logitech now I can't see how that would be the problem. Those are generally considered to be quality mice.

brad cook
  8. it's a standard 3-button ball mouse.

I did a clean install of Windows 98SE just over a month ago.

BTW what does the lithium coin battery on the motherboard do?
    could it be running down (given that it is 5yrs old)?
  9. LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    That's the battery that runs the BIOS on your MBoard. That wouldn't have anything to do with your mouse problem though. You'll know your mainboard battery is going dead when your OS won't keep the right time anymore.
  10. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The battery is recharge by your motherboard. Its most probably noot going dead.
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Mouses dude.
  12. 2 years on, and this problem got so bad the pc would rarely start (I'd get the "windows could not find a mouse connected" error message. often the keyboard stopped working too). out of desperation i tried a £1 USB mouse from Poundland instead of the PS2 mouse-

guess what- problem solved ;)

must be a motherboard problem. old outdated pc, but there's life left in it yet.
  13. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I bet you have boogers on the rollers inside the mouse.
  14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    What the hell? How is the mouse responsible for speakers and text?

He has more problems than just his mouse. I'd suggest reformatting your computer.

Or just get a better computer. You can get something 3 times as good for $400 these days. Provided you keep your monitor, which should be fine.
  15. Am I getting this correct?

Your posted about your problem on 9/30/04 and you just fixed?
  16. Wow, for a moment there I actually thought NTB was back!!
  17. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Mobile/cell phone...is it near the computer or mouse?...I had a similar thing happen a year ago where the mouse pointer would take on a life of its own...turned out it was my phone interfering with it.

of course the other option is that your computer is being controlled remotely (using something like pcanywhere)....

now thats scary :eek:
  18. the pc's working fine now with the USB mouse.

I'm guessing there's something wrong with the PS2 mouse port on the motherboard that caused an overload/breakdown in information that also caused the text input to hang, and the motherboard speaker to beep.
  19. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I used to have the same problem with an optical mouse but fixed it by not using a mouse pad. Your mileage may vary.
    No, I'm not kidding, when I stopped using a mouse pad, the problem really went away.
  20. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    This is def not a mouse problem. I would say you NEED to upgrade your computer. badly. Windows 98 was a pretty bad OS as I remember, especially with input devices. I would imagine that since the OS is so old, that antivirus software might not be able to work totally well with it, either.