PC Recording programs

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jul 26, 2005.

1. are there any programs that will record JUST from the line in?

Its annoying cus with the program im using now ( n-track ) it records every sound the PC makes

So, if im recording seperate tracks, record the drums first, then go to record the bass aswell, the bass track has the drums in the background (because it played the drum track while recording the next one )

I hope im making sense, its just a minor thing and im probably being really picky

( side note, i record from instrument/mic - > mixer -> line in on soundcard )
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What soundcard are you using?
    You need to select the right input source in the soundcard (or windows) mixer.
    This problem will occur in any other program too.
  3. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    i use multitrack studio to mess around when I'm trying to record.

user friendly interface and keeps all the tracks seperate til you select to master all the tracks into one...
  4. Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    i used to think my adobe audition was doing that to me but it turned out it was the soundcard, and that it was poor quality so didnt seperate the tracks properly. either that or didnt set the sound card up properly. anyway the moral of the story is, that it was the sound cards fault!
  5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    audicity. its great shareware.
  6. +1

As the man says, it's not the program but what it's choosing as the default recording source. At the minute it's set to "What U Hear" or "Mix". Select "Line in" and the problems will disappear. Click on the speaker icon in the system tray (bottom right) or go through the Control Panel, select Properties, Advanced, Recording and then click the radio button that's under Line In.
  7. What good recording software is out there?

Im looking for something that will only record from the line in, and not every source of sound on the PC (yeah, i got a few annoying msn *bings* in one i recorded :p )

Ive been using NTrack, its good, but if you do seperate tracks, they all get in a mess, ie

record drums, then bass, but because the program plays all tracks whilst recording, the drums end up on the bass track too, which sucks for leveling! (even tho its a bit quieter than the main drum track) but you get the idea, all previous tracks end up on the next one to get recorded etc, which is a bit crappy!

Anyway, im just looking for something decent to record on the PC with, im using a mixer up front of that, so i always have some control of the signal in
  8. Adobe Audition is pretty good. Vegas wasn't bad either, but I'm not sure if it's available anymore.

If you have a mixer, send an aux out to the computer record input. Make sure the only aux send up is whatever channel you want to record (ie: bass). Then use the stereo out or whatever it's called to send to your amp/speakers. That way you hear everything, but only record the aux and you'll get relatively clean separate channel recordings.

BTW - what kind of mixer is it and how is it wired up right now?
  9. xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    i've used Sonar fairly successfully on a few occasions using a Mackie 1602 into my comp soundcard. on the Ache:emelie recordings(see sig.) i did the drums fully mic'd and mixed to a stereo track first, then overdubbed everything else one at a time, the only bad thing about doing it that way(if you don't have a proper multi-channel recording card in your comp) is that once those drum tracks are down, there's no going back and fixing kick or snare or any other levels(found out the hard way and ended up having to compress the drums a little too much during mixing to compensate once everything else was on there).
  10. I think you miunderstand me, when im recording individual tracks on the PC, its the program on the PC thats mixing them together

the drums are an electric kit so its easy to hook up, record them first
    then record the bass from the XLR out on my sansamp or the XLR out from my SVT, either way, i can still hear what im playing, then record the guitar through mic'ing the amp (the mic didnt work too well for bass), then add the vocals

we were recording one track at a time, but the program NTrack will record sound from every source on the PC, including the previous tracks that are recorded (they play while you are recording, which is useful because that means you actually here whats been recorded, and you know when you **** up, before listening back to the track)

I use the tape output of the mixer (2 phono jacks to a stereo 1/8th into the input on soundcard), its a behringer UB1202, yeah, im a cheap bas :p

The problem is soley in the program recording all sources, and not having the option to only record the sounds from the Line In
  11. yeah, i dont want to overdub, thats why im trying to keep all the channels seperate :)

nothing to do with our drummer only having played for 3-4 months and having an undescisive mind
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The program may not be the problem. It could be in your configuration, or it could be because you need a better soundcard.

In any case, a program I like is Tracktion, which is English but is marketed by Mackie. I've found it very easy to use and as powerful as I need it to be.
  13. It's not the program, but the mixer. That behringer doesn't have any aux or bus outs so you're out of luck. Everything that has a channel up is being sent to all of the outputs - so that means that when you're playing back the computer it's being sent back to the record input because the output of the computer goes to an input on the soundcard which then goes to the output of the mixer to the input of the computer. The program is recording everything from the mixer, not the computer (if you get what I mean).

While recording your bass, try playing the computer back through headphones (and disconnect it from the mixer). Run your bass through the mixer out to the computer. That should get you a clean bass track.

That's not a terrible mixer, but next time get one with aux outs so you can play the computer through it for monitoring, but only record specific channels.
  14. How do you mean configuration?

And i think the soundcard i have is ok

and "BassGuitar", please, you dont understand, it ISNT the mixer, if i played an mp3 in the background while i was recording then it would be recorded onto that channel, im recording every track individually, thats not the problem, it is nothing to do with the mixer, i am only recording one thing at a time, so how could the bass that is going DI pick up the already recorded drums
  15. Im still not sure what you were trying to say, after thinking about it

The Line In on the sound card is soley and input, and as i said, ive picked up the msn beeps of someone talking in the recording, ive also tried headphones whilst recording, ony with the guitar and mic because they use mic's and i didnt want what was coming out the speakers to be picked up by the mic's making a feedback loop, but the same thing happened with everything that had been played before going onto each new track

I could try turning the output level of everything on the PC to 0% through the computers software volume control, leaving only the line in on basically, only problem with that is there would be no track to play along to, so, ive come to the conclusion that it seems the best way to do it would be to do that, but save each track as an individual wav file, then make a seperate wav for each advancement, and play along through an MP3 player, so the bass would play along with the drums, the guitarist would then be able to play along with the drums and bass and then vocals would be done while being able to listen to everything else

this is a bit of a fidgetty way to do things, but its better than having the "unclean" channels :smug:

unless there is a way to make the program im using only record from the line in, which i dont think there is
  16. It's not the soundcard, the mixer or the software... It's your settings in your Windoze sound mixer. You're settings are recording "What you hear" or "Mix" or something like that. Set them to "Line In" and all your problems will be solved.

Did you not get decent replies from this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192817 ??

Did you try different settings on the Windoze sound mixer?

EDIT: My bad, I've just read your last post. The problem is that you want both a guide track or click to play along to and to be able to record the bass line. If you set the recording channel to line in then you should still be able to hear the output from the audio editor / sequencer. There are separate screens in the Windoze sound mixer - one for playback and another (via the ADVANCED options) for recording.

You could of course switch off your MSN messenger while you're recording... ;)
  17. Yeah, it was just msn that mde me noticed in the background when i played an individual track it had things on it it shouldnt have (other than msn ;)

Ill give what you said a try

and you wanna know whats scarey, i really cant for the life of me remember making that other thread!!!
  18. again, thanks, will be trying that, even tho i dont remember making this thread!!

should say here, for all the difference it makes, its a Creative Soundblaster Live 24-Bit card :)
  19. I tried the way that was mentioned, and it didnt work, but i totally forgot about the seperate software that came for the sound card, and its set to only record the line in and it works, woo :D cheers MKS!
  20. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    In that case you're forgiven :) But I don't see the need for two identical threads from the same user, so I'm going to merge them into one.