Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PC soundcard upgrade vs. outboard USB interface?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JohnL, Mar 2, 2004.

1. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Is there (sonically) a reason that I should upgrade my PC's soundcard vs. an outboard USB unit? (Specifically, I'm looking at the Tascam US-122) The Tascam seems very flexible and portable, but I don't really know enough about internal soundcards (I was also considering one of the M Audio cards)to know what the advantage/disadvantages would be.

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Forgot to mention that both options are about the same, price-wise, and based on the price range, I am just wondering about sonic differences, if any. Thanks!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    PCI will always give you lower latencies than USB. So if you need low latency, go PCI. USB will give you more flexibility in terms of portability.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    PCI cards, or at least some of those with analog ins and outs, are more prone to picking up RF interference (generated by various components in your computer), which will distort and degrade your audio. I had a POS "professional" :rolleyes: sound card which did exactly this. Noise floor was at times at -20 dB, which is outrageously bad. I don't think USB units in general are as likely to share this problem. But quality PCI cards shouldn't have it either.

5. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    That's interesting. The Tascam site claims the USB unit to have zero latency. I wonder if it's a little "creative" advertising on their part?