1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PCBs for DIY clone 2-band Preamps

Discussion in 'TalkBass Bazaar: Effects & Electronics' started by UncleFluffy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Thanks, but this is a "we" thing, not just a "me" thing. Blessings / good karma / however you choose to view it go out to everyone who's thrown into the pot for the boards. Hopefully, a little bit of it will get stuck in the control cavity of all your basses.

2. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I forgot all about the G&L pots. Leo Fender used reverse log C1M pots in the G&L Tribute basses also. Instead of a treble control he used the pot as a bass control. this pot can be rear mounted through the cavity. G&L's shipping costs are ridiculous, unfortunately. good luck!

Split-Shaft Potentiometer - Tribute Bass - 1meg

3. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    This week's post office trip done. 16 boards went off today.

I have to say, it's very gratifying to see how many TBers, especially the first time builders, are having a go at building these.

4. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    A number of folks have been asking about parts lists. I'm not really the best person to make recommendations here because I have a wall full of stuff that I've accumulated over 30 years or so and only ever buy when I can't find it there.

However, to try and make things easier I logged on to Digikey this morning and ordered these:

preparts.

Note: I missed one. You'll need this as well.

CF18JT220KCT-ND / RES 220K OHM 1/8W 5% CF AXIAL / $0.09

This list is aimed at "easy-to-assemble" and only contains the on-board parts, as you may already have suitable pots.

If you're looking for cheaper, or ultra-fancy parts, feel free to adjust to your taste. Once they arrive and I've soldered it up I'll post confirmation that this is a known-good parts list.

5. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    From Bajaman, who did the initial reverse-engineering work that made all this possible:

Thank You
    Hello UncleFluffy
    I recently posted the following acknowledgement over at freestompboxes.org

Please feel free to share it with interested members over here on this forum

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewto...137330#p137330

"Hi UncleFluffy
    Thank you for thanking me publicly
    You do not "owe me" anything more than this :wink:
    These are two words that are very easy to utter BUT they mean so much :wink:
    "thank you"
    I am very happy that you folks over at the TalkBass forum have produced PCBs from my work - I do not require any boards (thank you for your kind offer ), but I am sure there are members of this forum that would like to purchase some of these excellent looking boards.
    I would suggest that they PM you for further details regarding board prices and postal costs.
    Thank you for taking the time to visit freestompboxes.org ( the forbidden forum :lol: ) and thank you for your post in this thread.
    AND - Welcome to all members of the TalkBass forum - you are all most welcome to visit here anytime :thumbsup
    cheers
    bajaman"
    Forward Message

6. Orph

Orph

May 11, 2009
    Trondheim, Norway.
    Got mine yesterday, and they're looking good !

Just want to say thank you, and that I'll post pictures when I'm done !

7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Digikey parcel arrived yesterday. In-laws visiting this weekend so the build will have to wait until the coming week.

8. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Man, I want to try building one of these!

I don't suppose that there's a way to just input a "cartfull" of items in one click at the places that sell the parts required?

9. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Not that I know of - that Digikey list is as close as you're going to get right now. A couple of folks have suggested that I sell kits, but to be honest I don't really have the time to deal with the extra headaches that would involve. If anyone else would be interested in coordinating something like that, whether for $ or just-for-fun let me know.

10. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    At DigiKey you can create an order or a BOM that can be edited on your computer and uploaded as an order. You have to be registered to use this function. I created a BOM from UncleFluffy's parts list above, if any one would like it, I can email it to them. I haven't ordered parts this way, but it is probably as close as you can get to a "1-click" order

11. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
  12. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio

I have read before that since guitars have such low output voltage that the polarity of the input cap is not important. In some configurations it does not even have to be electrolytic. I messed around with this before and it appears to be true.

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i just built this one for a talkbass member that's shipping to him today.

he wanted full sized pots, so i used an NOS CTS 25K linear for the volume (which has a more useable taper), an NOS clarostat for the 100K audio (bass control) and a new G&L 1M rev audio for the treble control. i just mounted it on a scrap piece of plexiglass so i could ship it easier. i tested it and its sounds frickin' awesome.

2band-02.

2band-01.

2band-03.

2band-04.

14. 7XL

7XL

Jul 23, 2009
    St Paul. MN
    I sent a PM requesting info on how to order 2 of these. I never received a response.

Are these still available?

15. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Yes, they are. I've been running behind a bit on PMs again recently. Will get back up to date tomorrow.

16. Orph

Orph

May 11, 2009
    Trondheim, Norway.
    Yeah, I'm done with my five units (will post pictures when I find my transfer cable).

I do have a question, though, I intend to replace my 3-band with one of these, but I'm kind of confused as to how the coil switch is wired into the board. I saw some resistors and such, and heck of a lot of wires, but I didn't want to dismount the 3-band before I was certain how to put it back together again.

17. Orph

Orph

May 11, 2009
    Trondheim, Norway.
    Alright, I found a picture of the wiring diagram. I think I'll dismount the preamp tomorrow, and try to get it to work properly with the coil selector.

18. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Good news. Can you post a link in case anyone else finds it useful? Thanks...

19. Orph

Orph

May 11, 2009
    Trondheim, Norway.
    As per Uncle Fluffy's request, here are some pictures of the finished pre amps:

IMAG0146.

IMAG0144.

IMAG0148.

Some of the components I purchased were a bit... off...

IMAG0149.

First time I've ever done this kind of stuff... I thought the soldering turned out ok...

IMAG0154.

Finished modules:

IMAG0152.

IMAG0153.

Easy as pie to do, the directions were very clear.

Here's the wiring diagram for the coil selector switch for the Stingray 5H.

SR5Wiring.

Oh, and Uncle Fluffy: Do you have more of them ? I need five more :p

20. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Awesome. The only thing better than beer is seeing people have fun with this stuff.

Thankyou. That's going to be a big help to someone else one day.

Hah! Just about out. I've probably got enough to cover everyone who's PMed me up to this point (though you may not get as many as you asked for) but it's looking like I'm going to have to get more made up.

Never, ever, did I expect so many people to be interested in this. Much respect to everyone who's decided to DIY their preamps, especially the first-timers.