1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PCBs for DIY clone 2-band Preamps

Discussion in 'TalkBass Bazaar: Effects & Electronics' started by UncleFluffy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I should bold this...

All boards from this batch gone! I'll be making more!

So, in the interest of continual product improvement ... what (other than the screen print error) can be done better for the next set of boards? Any suggestions?

2. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    So the big question...
    Who's selling these complete ones and how much?
    :bag:

I have a friend...

3. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    Ya better get another batch made up, as I'm looking at at least 5 more......

4. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Actually ... I know I said earlier that I didn't want to get involved in kits. But, how does board + on-board-components (i.e. source your own pots, or use the ones you have already) + ConUS shipping for $15 sound to everyone? $20 anywhere else on the planet?

Boards without components would still go for "a beer", of course.

5. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    PM me when you have something like that available again. That's just what I'd want!

6. Orph

Orph

May 11, 2009
    Trondheim, Norway.
    Update: I've been fiddling with installing it for a couple of hours now, and I've finally got it working !

At first I had a nasty howling sound when I turned the volume and treble pots all the way up, and somehow I got a built-in distortion effect that actually sounded VERY nice (I have no idea how the heck I managed that, though. It's gone now, anyways). Then I got some crackly pots, and some such, but now it's all good. The volume pot doesn't work, though, but I'll go in later and do wire it up properly. It's mostly me being new to this, and only having wires in four colors available, which is bound to lead to some confusion.

Anyways: This thing sounds KILLER ! It's got a nice fat sound when the bass is turned up a little, with treble slightly turned down, a sweet mid-range growl with bass flat and treble boosted a little bit. This is the best bass sound I've ever been able to get. Hands down.

It was kind of fiddly to deal with the 5h preamp with the coil selector switch, so what I did was just remove the entire thing. I connected three of the four wires, left the black one out, and just hooked it up to the pickup input, to spare me some work. I don't regret it.

There's no need to hesitate, this install is easy, I mainly had some trouble because I couldn't find any clear directions on how to do this on a 5'er.

7. I would be interested, definitely. I had PM'd about getting a couple boards for a project I could do with my boys this summer. I would be very much into the idea of getting everything all in one batch. Perhaps also a little step-by-step webpage for the newbs like me who need all the help we can get.

Thanks! ;)

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    RATS! I missed the first batch, and we PMed and you were involved with other things then and later I somehow missed this whole thread until now (ended up here after a search of preamp things on EBAY!) And who is here but Murphy who laughs as I get here just as this batch runs out!

Oh well. Standard life stuff! I DO still want some from the next batch, next time FOR SURE!

9. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Looks like I'll have to get them shipped here express, then :)

Will kick off the order this weekend. Am down with a bit of the flu right now.

10. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    count me in for a few kits from the new batch. Did i get one of the last ones or am i in backorder queue. ?

11. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    I think you're good for one from this batch.

Will be sitting down with the last few pms and paypals this weekend and sorting them all out then - buried in 'flu and day job the the last few days.

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    As others have mentioned... I'd be interested in one of these, but do not have the time currently to put one together.

Anyone that's capable and experienced taking orders for their time to put them together?

13. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    OK. All done. Everyone who's sent me $ has an envelope sitting here for me to drop off at the post office tomorrow morning. Should have added "turn round a mortgage pre-approval in five days flat by running around like a lunatic" to my to-do list for the end of last week. Phew! *wipes forehead, grabs large G&T*

New batch of boards ordered. 200 this time - like I've said before, I'm pleased to be part of a community with so many people willing to have a go at something like this.

No ETA as yet - I'll keep everyone posted.

14. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    and they're off!

All boards off and winging their way to people. If you sent me $ you should have a board soon. If nothing by the end of the month, let me know.

15. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Proofs came in for the next batch. They looked good, so they're off to manufacturing.

16. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    got an update - 9 days manufacturing, then shipping back to this side of the planet (2 weeks?)

17. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    I've had a couple of "are they here yet?" PMs ... looks like I was a bit unclear in my phrasing above. That's 9 (business) days manufacturing plus an estimated 2 weeks for shipping. Which puts the ETA at about the 23rd. (Roughly)

18. Bassic1

Bassic1

Feb 17, 2011
    Simi Valley, CA
    Things are not always what they seem.
    Thanks to a pickup split switch, a Nordstrand 4.3 pickup and Uncle Fluffy'e MM preamp this is a mighty axe to be reckoned with. And for under $250. Sterling owners eat your hearts out!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    I can't see the pics, but congratulations on the successful build!

Happy TBers = Happy Fluffy! :hyper:

20. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    A parcel arrived today all the way from Hong Kong:

DSCN1904.

We're back on the road :hyper:

I'm in the middle of the escrow process on a house right now, so things may be a little slow as I work through the PMs.