1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PCBs for DIY clone 2-band Preamps

Discussion in 'TalkBass Bazaar: Effects & Electronics' started by UncleFluffy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Commercial User

Aug 2, 2010
    Sigil Pickups
    I'm a small time pedal builder and plan to make some of these into stompboxes. I dabble mostly in guitar, but have been in love with the Stingray sound forever I've been lurking here for some time and found this thread by accident having just recently found myself a Douglas MM on CL (hopefully arriving soon!) and wanting to get it tricked out.

I was just going to perfboard thepreamp from the fsb forum, but these would make life a lot easier. Are you still doing boards? PM incoming:)

2. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    It's been a little over a month since I've PMed him for an order and he hasn't responded yet. I'm hoping he's okay.

3. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    OK, but moving slowly. New job hasn't slowed down as quickly as I thought it would have. Trying to get a day working from home later this week to catch up on PMs.

4. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    Can you quote me on shipping for a couple to Finland? Beer is hella expensive here though! Sorry to post here. Inbox full :)

5. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Anyone have a spare? Would love to get one... I pm'd fluffy, though I understand that he's a bit busy right now!

6. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Got off the plane 9pm last night :) Got some PMs done, catching up ...

Prostheta ... shipping outside the US is an extra $2. PM me, there's some space now :)

7. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Has anyone tried this preamp on a jazz bass yet?

8. lownoteBb

lownoteBb

Jan 9, 2012
    Is this thread dead or does anyone know if boards are still a hot item?

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i love 'em. i've built up 8 of them so far.

10. Rokoko

Rokoko

Nov 30, 2008
    Just recieved mine as a late christmas gift. If it is a "so last year" thing and people have stopped building them i wouldn't know but ill surely post pics and soundclips in this thread.

I got hold of a Noll Mixpot and i will try to use it as an active blend between a passive P bass circuit and a Musicman (preamped) circuit. It'll take a couple of weeks to get hold of all the parts and get it put together, so stay tuned!

11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I have one in my Ibanez which has two of my Neo Jazzbucker pickups. So, not exactly a Jazz, but close. It sounds great, and gets a Stingray vibe when you boost the lows and highs.

12. lownoteBb

lownoteBb

Jan 9, 2012
    I'd love to hear some sound clips especially with jazz type setup and still wondering whether i can still get boards to make a few of my own- own an all original 79 stingray and love it to death

13. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    2-band Pre w/ Jazzbuckers.

This is mostly the bridge pickup, which is wired in parallel. The bass and treble were cranked up pretty high.

14. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Yes, I still have boards :)

I've also got 49 PMs sitting in my inbox that I need to attend to :crying:

I've managed to get a couple of boards shipped out but things have been moving very slowly for some time - my Christmas consisted of four days with the in-laws then straight off to Canada on a business trip, getting back last Thursday...

15. lownoteBb

lownoteBb

Jan 9, 2012
    thanks for the response guys-really appreciate the sound clip that sounds hot.where's everyone else's sound clips that utilized this circuit? also pm'ed uncle fluffy about boards/kits-anxiously awaiting availability,thanks all! :hyper:

16. lownoteBb

lownoteBb

Jan 9, 2012
    sent off for 3 boards!

17. Rokoko

Rokoko

Nov 30, 2008
    Ok guys this probably sounds crazy but hear me out:

How about i put 2 of these preamps in the same bass?

I have a P/MM bass and if i blend them before the preamp passively, the MM pickup (due to impedance difference) sucks the tone out of the P pickup. I planned on having some active blend installed, but while waiting for the IC's for the preamp, i thought, hell why not have a separate preamp for each pickup. I could use stacked pots to control vol, bass treble for each of them but will it be ok. I havent seen other basses with this config, so will the output be ok?

and should i use one 9v battery to power them both or would i need a separate 9v pack for each preamp?

Hope someone can help me out here.

18. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    Possible, but it seems difficult in my mind since you can't buy a stacked REV LOG 1M pot. You'd have to make you're own by pulling out the wafers from a stacked pot and replacing them with the wafers from two REV 1M pots, and hope they don't end up scratchy in the end.

19. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You can use the stacked 100k/1M pot for Danelectros. It's not a rev log pot, but I've been using linear taper for the treble pot and it works fine.

20. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Try putting a 10k resistor between the each pickup and the preamp. That will act like a mixer.

You can certainly power two preamps off the same battery. They draw very little current, about 250 µA.