1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

peak

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by napbass_, Aug 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. napbass_

napbass_

Jun 21, 2016
    orl, fl
    alright so I have a
    fender bassman 500 hybrid Fender Bassman Pro 500W Hybrid Bass Head

and a

fender rumble 115 cab
    Fender RUMBLE 115 600W 1x15 Bass Speaker Cabinet

now this rig is great I love the tones, makes my room rattles and stuff, but I can't get very loud before the peak light comes on (probably around 5 on master and 7 on channel). I'm still a newbie and learning all this stuff and I thought the rig would get a lot louder before peaking, also can I get a little more clarification on exactly what peaking is?

thanks guys

2. napbass_

napbass_

Jun 21, 2016
    orl, fl
    update: I think I figured it out its because it's running at 350 watts at 8 ohms instead of 500 watts at 4 ohms because the cab is 8 ohms

3. Remember that power does not equal volume.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

The peak light just shows when the pre section is into distortion. Since it's a tube pre, it probably sounds good when distorted. If you want clean, turn the pre down until it barely flashes and turn the volume up. If you want dirty tube distortion turn the pre up and drop the volume.

Either way you then need to use your ears to ensure you aren't damaging the speaker. But you don't have to worry about the peak light, it's just telling you when you're pre tube is approaching saturation.

If it sounds good it is good. Your ears are the best judge, forget about lights and numbers on the head.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    /\/\3phist0 likes this.
  5. napbass_

napbass_

Jun 21, 2016
    orl, fl
    thanks that was helpful

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass SUSPENDED

Sep 14, 2010
    yeah peak lights are dumb
    the more they glow the better lol.
    but yeah your ear is the judge as long as your not getting speaker distortion. red line that sucker

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I don't think peak lights are dumb, and I think there are plenty of players who find them helpful, especially if they read the manual and understand what they mean for their particular amp.

Peak or O/D LEDs can be very helpful to a player in understanding the gain structure quickly and in a variety of situations, including one-offs where there may be more things happening on the fly than usual. They are just indicators of the operating conditions of the amp.