1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey 215 vs 3620

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CarmenWilliams, Nov 12, 2019.

1. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    I have a 215, absolutely love it. But I need something that can handle more wattage.
    A guy has a 3620 (two 18" with two 10") and it's rated at 600watts. Which would be perfect. He's selling it for $135.
    The weight/size of my 215 fits perfectly in my car. I don't mind it at all, but the thought of a 3620 scares me.
    What's the overall difference in sound? Should I just get a 215 with black widows? Or does the 3620 sound amazing?
    I'm in a 3 piece hard rock/metal band. My 215 sounds amazing with the band.

DJ Bebop and rutrho like this.
  2. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I've wondered the same thing! I'd get it just cuz for that measly price

CarmenWilliams likes this.
  3. What follows is just my own opinion. In a fit of madness in my younger days I purchased 2 1820s. These are 1X18,2X10 cabinets, more portable than the one you're considering; only slightly larger and heavier than a Fiat. Run full range, they sounded "flubby." On their own, the 10s sounded good, actually very good sounding guitar speakers. The 18 in both cabinets did not clearly reproduce the low end of a 5 string and sounded sort of loose. Flubby is the best I can describe it. Each cabinet was getting about 200 tube watts when run full range. They were in excellent condition and the speakers did not act like they were blown. After a long time trying to sell them, I gave them to a neighbor who renovated them and still rents them out to college kids as housing.

DJ Bebop and higain617 like this.
  4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I had a 3620. Massive lows and yeah the tens smack you in the face and sound good all by themselves. The definition can be loosey-goosey unless you bump your high mids a good bit. The 18s can overtake the tens if you use a frownie face eq.

It has wheels and you really dont have to dead-lift it often unless you navigate many staircases. Just tilt and roll that sucker to the car, tip it in and push.

I wonder if I'm just nostalgic or if it did sound as good as I remember. Sold it to raise cash for home improvements. Missed it since.

I lined mine and that tamed the boom enough to help with the low mids. I used it bi-amped about half the time, and maybe 25%/25% full range and just the 10s.

Are you sure it's 600 watts? I want to say it was 400.

For that price you should give it a whirl, IMO.

DJ Bebop and BasturdBlaster like this.
  5. Owned one about 10 years ago because like you, I picked it up for a song.

I ran it semi bi-amped. Let the 18's run full range, and high passed the 10's at around 100hz.

My memory is that is was not really al that "earth shaking" for a 2X18, and sold it soon after. Think I only did one gig with it.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I would find a couple of BW 8ohm drivers and stickem in the cab you are used to carrying around. Craigslist is usually loaded with them. Or GC used.

Kevnn4 and CarmenWilliams like this.
  7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

8. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    I've heard the 18's can get "flubby". So I'm thinking the 15's are kinda a safe sweet spot to be in.
    And it's actually a 400watt cab. I have no idea where I got 600 from lol

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    I read an article about how old Peavey cabs were being repurposed as housing for young tech professionals in SF.

10. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    If it sounds amazing and you love it, why do you need something to handle more wattage? Is it not loud enough?

What amp are you using?

At the price I'd just buy it and see if it works for you both from a sound and transport perspective.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. I also had two. Sold one a few years ago. Kept the other and striped it. Reusing the 18 Blackwidow in its own box still today. I didn't find it to be "flubby" with my 5 string but, it may be musical choices and application as I ran bi-amped and still do sometimes :) I've moved on as my gigs now don't need that kind of firepower and if I do, PA support handles that.
    The 18 now:
    IMG_3845.JPG

Myself, I would keep running the 2x15 if it sounds good to you now. Your back will thank you :)

12. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Id get it for the heck of it.Can you run both cabs at the same time. Might be interesting. Ok multiple sized speaker police activated.

13. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    I ran this from the ‘80s to 2008, biamped only. The 18 cleans up well if you limit it, and the 10s are strong on top. Crossed over at 150hz. Nice thing is you get to adjust your volumes separately to clean up a bad room. Always had help carrying it, and it fit fine in the 18’ band truck!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Probably not a good idea. The 3620 is 4 ohm, and I'd bet the 215 is too. Depends on the amp.

I ran three amps sometimes... My combo 300 was ripped out and put in a headbox. I used its power section to push the 18s and its crossover to push the 10s with a crate b150. The line out went to a mark IV and pushed a 215. I think my pants legs are still flapping today from the last time I used that setup, in about 1993.

15. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    I've tried a few different amps with my cab, but by the end of the set, it goes out. Few people have said it's the speakers, some have said it's the wiring. But I run an overdrive pedal towards the end of my set and it really pushes the cab. But the current amp I'm using is the Peavey MiniMax 500watt version.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020