1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey 4x10 cab ohm identification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe*, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Joe*

Joe*

Apr 16, 2010
    Hi, I thought someone here might be able to help me with some specs... I've just picked up a Peavey 4 x 10 cab - it says it's a '4108 enclosure' on the back - secondhand and wondered if anyone could identify what ohms it runs at... I don't want to destroy it by getting this wrong! At the moment I'm playing a GK 800rb through it, but keeping levels down.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Given that they only come in 4 ohms or 8 ohms and it's a 410, then the designation 4108 probably means it's an 8 ohm cab. If it were a 4 ohm it would probably say 4104.

But to be sure you can pull out one of the drivers and look at the sticker on it (all Peavey speakers have stickers saying what ohm the speaker is). If it says it's an 8 ohm speaker you have an 8 ohm cab. If it says 4 ohm, then it's a 4 ohm cab. Because all 4 of the speakers wired up would make the cab whatever one speaker's ohm is (as they are all the same ohm).

3. Joe*

Joe*

Apr 16, 2010
    I pulled out one of the speakers, and there wasn't a sticker describing ohms, just serial numbers (they're possibly replacement speakers - it's an old cab). I'm going to go with your explanation that '4108' makes it an 8 ohm cab. It makes total sense, as I can't think of another reason why they'd have 8 in the model number. Thanks for your help!

4. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    hiho,getm a multi meter ,set it to ohms at a range you can see( 0-100 or similar) attach your cable and put the probes on the jack-one on the tip and one on the shaft,croc clips help and you can read the ohms off the meter-you can do this with your bass as well and read the pick ups or see if you have a circuit.

5. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Thats the method for measuring ohms as a resistance when we are talking about nominal impedance (a quite different electrical property) but in DC resistance you might find an 8 ohm impedance
    loudspeaker shows about four and a half to five ohms dc resistance.:ninja: