1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nintonbp, Jul 27, 2012.

1. nintonbp

nintonbp

May 6, 2011
    [​IMG]
    I was wondering if anyone knows how old these Peavy columns are, the guy selling them wants $125 for both and I was wondering whether or not they would be worth taking a look at.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  3. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    $125 seems a little high for old PA columns that nobody uses any more. Those are guitar drivers or similar, so they won't handle a lot of low end power. But the original SVT cabs used guitar drivers... If you didn't run too much power to 'em, it might work.

4. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    They are probably from the early 70's. I would not pay for them unless I was in a 70's bar band tribute group.

5. For practice pa they'd be great

I don't miss lugging them anymore

6. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    old skool

[​IMG]

7. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    those are the exact kind of pa speakers my high school rock band used. We bought them off of a guy in one of the older bands around town and thought we were rock gods...

they sounded like crap btw

8. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I disagree. With the right new powered P.A. head those speakers will be great. I had some of those in the 90's and we used them with Peavey mixers and power amps. They really cranked and could put out the SPL's

They are worth the 125 you put into them. I've been buying Peaveys for 30 years and they never let me down.

People have become so spoiled with the new technologies they forget this was considered great equipment in its day, and it still is. Buy them :)

9. Like most gear --- the nut driving depends on the output

With 8 drivers, these do have the statistical likelihood of needing maintenance

10. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    If they both worked with no major issues to worry about, and I had room for them; I'd buy them in a heartbeat at that price.

11. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I've sold smaller versions of those for $200 for both. I'd do it. :)

12. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    If those are the 4-12 columns, they will sound pretty "thin" for bass. Back in the early 70's we had a pair for our PA, and one day at a jam session I plugged into them for my bass amp. Did not sound too good. But, they were decent for PA use, and would make some pretty good midrange speakers for a more modern PA. I would definitely pay $125 for a pair of them, but, I like the "old school" stuff !

13. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    The silver bars were on all Peavey cabs in the mid to late 80's. I still have several...