Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey cab, 2 10's with 2 18's???????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dufffordinner, Apr 14, 2005.

1. dufffordinner

dufffordinner

Apr 14, 2005
    Anyone remember the model of the Peavey Bass Cab That has 2 10's and 2 18's with handles built into the back about as big as an 8/10 cab. Thanks

2. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    That's the old Peavey 3620. Friggen nuts. Two Black Widow 18's + two Scorpion 10's. Weighed about a million pounds and is taller than an 810. I believe you could biamp the cab to the 18's and 10's separately or go through the internal crossover.

Think of it this way, you could take 2 of those cabs, slap an old JBL or Community 1" horn on top and have a rather potent PA.

They were cool in the 80's I suppose though the 10's don't go up super high in response and the wave from the 18's isn't probably going to mature for a good 10-20 ft. !! ;)

3. dufffordinner

dufffordinner

Apr 14, 2005
    I found one at a pawn shop for $119 both of the 18's have small holes in the paper but That can be fixed. I use a Peavey Max Pre amp fueled by Peavey pv-1500 power amp. Do you think this cab would mesh well with My set up. Thanks for your help.

4. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Yeah, that would work. Nail polish should help with those cone holes. $119 is a bargain but wait until you move it !!

The PV1500 at what, 500w a side at 4ohms ?? That should be quite loud since you could power the 10's (4ohms) with one side of the amp and the 18's (also 4ohms) with the other side.

5. smylee

smylee

Aug 18, 2012
    I have one of these that is in perfect condition. Has never been on the road and is inside a church building 24/7. It will still blow the windows out of the bldg!

6. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist Bassist for Michael "Epic Mic" Rowe

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Oh man...jump all over that! :hyper:

I would probably replace them with some newer ones. You could probably pump out some serious wattage with the right set of speakers. With 10" mid-range driver holes, this cab could mutilate the eardrums of any who dare stand within 20 feet of it! :bassist:

7. My bass player has the 1x18 + 2x10 version of this.
    The crossover parts can be a bit flaky and the box is VERY heavy.
    The 10s are side-by-side and prone to combing.

Response is strong above low E.
    From low E and down to low B on my SR5HH, it is noticeably less.
    It is all usable, but much stronger above low E.

If not trashed, it could probably be had for cheap.
    This would make a very usable outdoor cab for low bux.

8. Lay it on it's side and those 10's are vertical. Stack two sideways and you have a mini line array.
    I remember a pick from Fishtix or somehting lke that with (2) 3620's stacked sideways. Quite imposing.

9. Indeed.
    They are just so... HEAVY. :D

10. braud357

braud357

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    That cab should liquify your insides at high volume !! For that price - I would definitely buy it !!

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    That was what I did with mine... though I never needed THAT much volume

[​IMG]

12. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Reminds me of an old Clair S4 without the horns !

13. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    I want to play at YOUR church! I had to go to a BAM 210 combo because my biamped 1x18/2x10 rig LOOKED too loud!

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    How about this ... 2x10 and 2x18

upload_2015-11-19_21-35-38.jpeg

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the deluxe version, as rocked by one adam Y:
    [​IMG]

16. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    He should be playin' a Dan Armstrong!

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    That plastic cabinet is wrong on so many levels!! It would be an audio nightmare.

18. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I had the 1820 powered by a Carvin R1000 biamped.
    It really rocked, but weighed a ton
    :)

19. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I had one of those. Note IIRC 400 watts... Be careful. I used it for so many different things. Full range, just the tens, bi-amped, and one gig as a sub for the PA through just the 18's. But even though the power rating may seem low, it moves a ton of air, the speakers have high sensitivity, and the tens fire right at your head.

20. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Also, add some lining, and round off the inside edges of those holes they call ports. Hey, anybody ever model these things or try making the squares into actual ports? Might actually improve its performance a bit. I can confirm mine smoothed out a little once I lined it.