1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey cirrus 5 2000s or 1900s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NigelDimesnion, Jun 2, 2018.

1. NigelDimesnion

NigelDimesnion

Jan 2, 2018
    Anybody own one? How does it sound

2. Of my 5 Cirrus basses 2 are from 90's and 2 from 2000's. All 4 strings but Peavey used the same pickups/preamps in both 4 and 5 strings models. Saves a bundle when 1 size fits all :)

If there's a difference between the decades then it's passed me by.

3. I’ve heard that the older Cirri has a slightly leaner, more svelte body carve. On the later ones they widened the body a bit. The difference was less than an inch IIRC. Someone posted a side-by-side pic in the US Cirrus club thread and it’s subtle but noticeable. They have the same components and sound the same as far as I know.

4. Found the post but the photo link is broken. Maybe someone will post a new one.

5. M 97/98 Cirrus is 316mm at it's widest point and 39.27mm thick. The 2007 Cirrus measures 320mm at the widest point and is 41.6mm thick,it has a poly finish so expect that'll make a fair bit of the extra.

6. Btw - they sound amazing.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The new import Cirruses sound great too.

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Actually the 4 string Cirrus PU's are only used in 4 string Cirrus basses. The 4 string Axcelerator also uses the same PU as the Cirrus 4. The 5 and 6 string Cirrus basses share the same PU's.

I own two 6's and one 5 string Cirrus and all of mine were made in the 2000's. I have yet to see a Cirrus that was not a good bass although there are plenty of abused ones out there. One of my 6's has a few dings but my 5 and the other 6 are almost mint condition. You have to be patient and wait for the right bass at the right price.

9. @Chuck M
    Don't the 6strings have flat tops ?

10. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    All my Cirrus PU's are curved top to match the fingerboard radius. My Axcelerator 6 does have flat top PU's while the Axcelerator 4 has curved top PU's (same part number as Cirrus 4 PU's). It is a puzzle to me why Peavey used different PU's on the Axcelerator 6 but do have to say that the electronics on the Axcelerator 6 are fantastic sounding. That is a wonderful sounding bass....of course, the 6 string Cirrus basses sound lovely as well. The Cirrus 6's sound more modern (kind of High Fidelity) compared to the Axcelerator 6.

So far, the only Peavey upper end bass that did not thrill me was a Millennium 5 that I owned briefly. I was not crazy about the tone and the bass felt strange when I played it. I traded it for a fantastic Cirrus 5 that the owner said did not feel good in his hands. He loves the Millennium! LOL We both won that round!

11. Thanks for the fast reply @Chuck M and happy to be corrected.

My 97 Cirrus has pickups marked "Axcel 5"and of curse they are the same size as the ones in my Axcelerator 5 :laugh: Using the same pickups in both 4 & 5 string basses was long a Peavey tradition. Good to hear they bucked the trend .

Despite owning a Millennium and a Millennium Plus I've never been too struck on them either. You can add the Sarzo sig to that list, lovely looking bass/feels great/can't get a single tone I like :laugh:

12. NigelDimesnion

NigelDimesnion

Jan 2, 2018
    Now if i can find one too buy in florida lol

13. Afraid I can't help there. I'm in Scotland ;)