Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus tuners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Jul 31, 2004.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I would like to know what brand of tuners Peavey put on their Cirrus basses. The information at the Peavey web site is a bit unclear about that.

/MrBaloo

2. fragcon

fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    i was under the impression they where Hipshot?

3. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i checked on new ones (get ready) i think they were $$$$!!!
    mini machine tuners!

4. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I believe that's correct. -Luke

5. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

Ok, Hipshot. Thanks! I don't find them at the Hipshot web site, but I just suppose they are OEM's.

On two of my Cirrus' tuners, the two plastic washers (black and grey) has broken and I am interested of a repair (or a replacement). Sadly this has happened to one of my Dean Edge 4 bass tuner too. They are Grover mini machine tuners.

/MrBaloo

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The quilt top has hipshots, but the other models do not.

7. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I have the walnut/bubinga top Cirrus model. So I guess it's no Hipshots after all...

/MrBaloo

8. embellisher

They are still decent tuners. Very similar to Gotoh minis, IIRC. Which is what Zon, Pedulla, and several other respected makers use.

9. why don't you call our customer service department and ask? we have an 800 number, so it's free to you. they'll be able to get you set with the right tuners, or could connect you with a set of the hipshots.

robb.

10. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I don't think the call will be free if I call from Sweden (where I'm living). Maybe I will call the swedish Peavey-agency.

/MrBaloo

11. yes, that is a good point. i don't know that you'd have the same luck speaking with a local dealer that you would if you could deal directly with us. you might want to try peavey europe, which is located in corby, england. that might be cheaper and/or easier than peavey USA.

robb.

12. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

According to the Peavey support, the Cirrus tuners are Gotohs. Now I can go to my local music store and find out if they manage to get some of these gold tuning machines. :)

/MrBaloo

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, they're gotoh.
    I just bought some replacement's from stewmac.com for my cirrus. I'm not a fan of gold hardware at all, so I got new black gotoh tuners. Was thinking about chrome, but in the end I think black - just looks so much better to me with the wenge wood.

I also bought a replacement black abm bridge from guitarelectronics.com, I'll post some before/after pics later.

14. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Black hardware would look great on a Cirrus I think. Definitely want to see pics!

15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    The gold hardware is probably the only think i DON'T Like about my Bubinga Cirrus. I've been contemplating the same thing, replacing the gold with black (which has always been my preference anyway) and getting some cool matching wood knobs from THG. Not sure which ones I'd get, but It thinking either Ebony knobs with Bubinga caps to match the body, or Bubinga Knobs with either a Silver position Stripe or Dot.

Please post pics when you've got it done. The Wenge looks a good bit different than the Bubinga but I'd still like to see it.

16. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's done. I"ll post pics tonight. Oh, and I replaced the knobs with hipshot o-ring knobs.

17. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the full pic didn't come out so good, but you get the idea. I so much prefer how it looks now. I'd love to hear your thoughts...

20. embellisher

So I guess you will Ebay the old hardware?