1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Forum bass..any info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 919_bass, May 18, 2011.

1. 919_bass

919_bass

May 18, 2011
    Hey guys...Just acquired a '95 Peavey Forum bass for a killer price. It's the one with the single soapbar pup in the middle. I just can't seem to find much info on this bass anywhere.
    I owned an '80 T-40 for a while and regret every day that I soild it! I was able to find a wealth of info on the T-40, but hardly any info seems to exist on the Forum.

Sorry if this is a NOOB thread, but would just like to ask if anyone can point me in the right direction for specs, value, reviews, etc. on the Peavy Forum single pup bass.

EDIT: And some pics of your Forum bass would be cool too!!

EDIT AGAIN: And I apologize if this is a redundant question on here, as it's tough to search for "Peavey Forum Bass" on a bass forum!!:meh:

2. The Forums were built in the 90's. The pickup is an internally active VFL type similar to those in the Cirrus. If the preamp is the same as the AX and Forum 5, it is an 18 volt, 2 band (bass/treble) boost/cut.

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
  4. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I have never heard of that model. I really thought you were looking for a Peavey bass forum! D'oh! BTW, Peavey does (or did) have great tech support and discussion forums on their website.

5. That model of the Forum was only built for about 2 years. It is basically Peavey's version of the Pre-Ernie Ball Stingray. Unfortunately, Peavey does not garner much resale value, so the market value is probably in the $200 to $250 range. As a player's bass it it worth a great deal more. They have very high build quality and sound great in a band mix. The preamp is remarkably quiet for the time period it was built, and the necks are very easy to set up well.

6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

It's basically an Axcellerator minus one pickup.

What exact questions do you have - I'd like to help.

7. 919_bass

919_bass

May 18, 2011
    Thanks for the replies fellas. Heres a couple poor quality cell phone pics of the bass. Haven't owned a Peavey in a few years and this one I'm gonna have to hang on to. I always feel regret when I sell a "vintage" Peavey lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    I,ve got a Forum 95,the white musicman type one as well as a musicman and I use the Peavey more live sort of says it all.
    Absolute bargain and a great bass.
    Hard to find out any info on these

9. Ray H.

Ray H. Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Waterloo, Oregon
    Love my Peavey!!!

Attached Files:

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am a big fan of the Forum AX five string.

11. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    It's the g-bass with a wooden neck, right?

12. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Ive never side by side compared... (playing or guts)... OVERALL ... my 2 cent opinion agrees with your summary

warrplayer likes this.
  13. I think the elecs might be the same, but the G basses are 35" scale. Had a couple G basses, along with one of the dual pickup fiver versions. They played beautifully but I never bonded with their sound, or any of the other Paevey VFL equipped basses, for that matter.

By contrast, my Forum below sounds great for my tastes. Not the brightest sounding bass, but it has that rare quality of maintaining good presence, regardless. It's the only one of this version I've owned, so dunno if it's a fluke. I love the thing, just wish it was a couple pounds lighter. They're not easy to find anymore and it's a good one, so I'm loath to let it go.

whz93vy1sn5gskoaii02.

q07fljxaymhhkwpqis5m.

whz93vy1sn5gskoaii02_zpsstbmu4p6.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    warrplayer likes this.
  14. 35" scale graphite neck is not the only difference. Forum uses the 2 band Axcelerator preamp +/- 12dB, G-bass uses 3 band Cirrus preamp +/- 10dB.

It don't mean a whole lot soundwise. Played my Forum & G-bass side by side today with EQ flat and think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I reckon Pickup placement being the key factor.

warrplayer likes this.
  15. Jake Gerber

Jake Gerber

Oct 6, 2015
    Ive got a very nice Peavey Forum bass, single active pup. I’ve got to downsize, as I never play it, in Ex condition. Has the hard shell Peavey case, but case is gouged on one end. I’m not trying to sell it here, but will list it in appropriate part of Talk Bass. Any ideas as to what I should ask for it ? It’s black, and very clean.

Attached Files: