1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Foundation advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thrasher, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Welp i just went to the music store and saw a sweet bass... a peavey foundation! its an O.G. 1984 sunburst with sweet vintage mojo... for 200 ducks! ...i mean bucks... oops... (I dont bother to backspace) soo what do i do? I sat there playin the thing and just drooling about the cheap tag and the awesome playability. This thing easily can ride with the big boys like my ric and U.S. P bass plus Ive been looking for a vintage t-40 but this seemed close and i liked the ferrite pickups! one thing stoped me from taking the complete plunge: the brigde seemed a little off sending the E string to ride the edge of the fret board, and the G about an 1/8 inch up. Im just curious of your guys opinions if this is fixable. could i move the bridge, or maybe just replace with a badass like the salesman said at the music store... hmm. Soo what do yall say????? I did put it on layaway for 40 bucks though just so it doesnt go anywhere too..:smug:

thanks

2. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Sounds like the neck just needs to be loosened, and retightend so the strings line up right.

Foundations are a great bass, and usually go for bargain prices.

I recently "sat in" for a few songs with a friends band, and played his well traveled Foundation. Solid as a rock after years of touring and countless shows.

I'd recomend one to anyone looking for a good used bass for short money. Necks are very thin, if you find that appealing.

3. That sounds about average for the price. And yeah, you should just be able to loosen the neck and realign it. Very nice basses. I had an older one that was a good 10 lbs. so I sold it, but I'd like to pick up another one in the future.

4. Nice J-feeling neck, without that overly large (IMO) J bass body. Very good tone from the Super-Ferrites, simple, efficient & cheap. Probably not your 1st choice for an "image" bass, but as a player they are great!

I just bought one and it has taken its place alongside my Ric, Gibson T bird, Fender P/j's, Spector, etc etc. As a player, the humble little Foundation takes a back seat to none of them!

5. Hey thanks everyone for the replies! Okay so il see if i can re align the neck and that seems that it could be the problem. so you guys dont think it could be a factory mess up on the bridge?

6. Anything's possible but I would guess that it's just the neck. You can get pretty out of whack if the neck is slightly out of alignment.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I doubt it.

8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Doubt if it was a factory issue.. the quality is conisistent leaving the plant..

It's what kids did to it afterward.

Plan on it neededing the neck tweeked, intonation, height etc..

Will setup better than any of my snob era Fenders

This IS totally different than a T-40... the closest between fender and T40 is a T-20

IF it has the original hard bullet "coutour case" you just landed a bargain.

Please do not repeat my mistake by installing a Badass on a Foundation.

9. Okay I dont wanna beat the dead horse here but it would be awesome if you could tell me how to do it. You take the strings off, take the neck off then what?? thanks

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm pretty sure you would just remove the neck, then line it up, and put it back on tight. The bridge will take a minute to adjust, and it will likely need some intonation also.

Super Ferrites are nice and aggressive. I a/b'ed with a Lakland Darryl Jones, and the tone was nearly indentical, the Lakland just had higher output, but hey, that's why amps have volume knobs!:D

11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have 2 foundations - One with 2 soapbars (not Super Ferrites) and a Foundation S P/J. I just can't imagine parting with either, ever. I prefer the sound of the non-SF pickups. The sound is very powerful and rich. The necks are amazing they last forever. Someday I will probably buy another.

You should not have to remove the neck and strings to align the neck. Loosen the strings, and loosen the neck retaining screws and move the neck back into alignment and tighten them up and retune. It only takes a fraction of a degree to cause the problem you see. Maybe you can use that as a tool to get the price even lower?

12. BrianKrashpad

BrianKrashpad

May 4, 2009
    I recently bought my daughter one of the double soapbar Foundations for $100. Very cool bass. She's already played it in church.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    What Gio said ^

Rockin' my bandmates Foundation with his "other" band. Freed him up to work the mic for a few songs. Fun night. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

GREAT picture! very cool! :)

15. BrianKrashpad

BrianKrashpad

May 4, 2009
    Thanks. I love sharing music with my kids. My dad did that for me, now it's time for karmic payback.

:bassist: