1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Foundation pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpmcbride, Nov 9, 2019.

1. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here is my 1991 Made in USA Peavey Foundation bass. This is one killer bass. Slim neck, but rock solid, never needs adjustment. Sounds and plays like a dream. The only change I've made since this pic is strings. I had the black La Bella tapewounds on it, but the tension is just too low, and the sound too muddy. I put regular La Bella flats on it and the strings feel nice and tight like I like, and the sound is more punchy.

So, the real purpose of this post is to talk about the year it was made. I say its a 1991 because I emailed the serial number to Peavey customer service and their response was this.

" Your instrument was manufactured in 1991 here in Meridian, Mississippi."

The problem is that it has the VFL pickups (soap bars). Every listing I see on Reverb and elsewhere for 1991 and 1992 Foundations they have the super ferrite pickups. What gives? Did Peavey use both types of pickups in 1991? Are the other listings wrong? Is it possible Peavey customer service made an error?

Well anyway its a great bass regardless of the vintage. If you see a 1990's Foundation for a good price, BUY IT! They're going up now, I see listings as high as $450.
    20191109_090906. 20191109_090921.

ihaveaquestion, MCF, andruca and 3 others like this.
  2. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Nice bass. I have an older one, '86, that I bought new but mine is an S model, PJ configuration. You're right about the necks they are rock solid. I don't have an answer for you on when the VFL's started being used. I suggest if you don't get an answer in this thread to try the Peavey Thread. I'm sure you'll get an answer there.

3. I have the serial numbers list here. What's the first 4 digits?

Edit: For 1991, the list is showing #'s 0440xxxx - 0519xxxx

Hope this helps.

4. 20190811_135931 (2). It looks in good condition for it's age, can't go wrong owning a Peavey Foundation bass :thumbsup::cool:.

5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The PU in your Foundation are single coil but in the same housing as the VFL humbuckers.

DavidEdenAria and Johnny Crab like this.
  6. jpmcbride

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    @chuckm My understanding is that there is no such thing as a VFL humbucker, people just think they're humbuckers due to the soapbar case. They're always single coils.

tindrum likes this.
  7. jpmcbride

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    @Templar Serial number is 0939xxxx.

8. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The VFL’s in my TL 5 and Cirrus basses are definitely humbuckers. They are also active. The PU in the Foundation are passive single coils.

9. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Peavey changed pickups on Foundations during 1994. Your bass is late ‘90s... soapbar pu’s, no truss rod cover, serial number. IMO, your neck has a better profile than the earlier ones.

10. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Pretty sure the pickups in your bass are passive too. It just has active electronics.

11. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    VFL pickups are (almost?) always active, I have them in 3 basses. Supposedly passive VFL pickups exist, but I've never seen one (but I have seen passive pickups in the VFL housing), AFAIK the VFL design would necessitate a built in preamp, much like EMG (the standard/original ones).

VFL pickups are friggin' awesome BTW.

tindrum likes this.
  12. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    They are active. They each have a red wire connected to + voltage.

kodiakblair likes this.
  13. They have 2 coils so are humbuckers. Pickups in your bass are single coils housed in a VFL shells.

Moving to a standard pickup shell eased production costs for Peavey.

The online serial numbers only go to start of 1995, 0770xxxx. Your 0939xxxx is a fair bit later. No TR cover and the hex nut adjustment is definitely post-94.

Attached Files:

mech, MCF and tindrum like this.
  14. jpmcbride

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    No, definitely passive. I've had this thing completely apart and looked at the electronics.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  15. jpmcbride

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wonder why Peavey told me 1991? I'm going to ask them to double check.

16. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    It is remarkable that you ask questions and then argue about the validity of answers given. I presently own 7 USA made Peavey basses and 4 of them are equipped with active dual coil VFL’s. The Foundation is a passive bass. The PUs are single coils.

Now I am done here.

17. They made a mistake is all. Happens more often these days,couple of month back they told a TB'er his Korean Milestone bass was built in 1986.

Strange they would say that since no Peavey were built outside the US until 1994.

18. jpmcbride

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    In any case, I love this bass. Its the only one I own that I would never let go. The neck if AMAZING. Its thin and fast and very easy to play. And the sound is great.

When I got it there was a dent on the body right where your forearm rests. It was pretty big and it dug into my forearm and was really annoying. I took it to a local shop and they did an amazing job fixing it. They filled it in, and painted the spot and blended the paint so well you can't even see it.

Also, it was scratched up and had a lot of paint swirls when I got it so I spent a couple hours polishing it with automotive scratch remover. It looks almost new now.

The only thing I wish is that Peavey had kept the headstock design from the earlier models. I really like the black outline they were putting around the headstock on earlier models!

19. jpmcbride

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Seriously, you're talking to me? I asked about the serial number, not if the pickups were active or passive. In any case, its a discussion not a debate. I appreciate learning that there were in fact active VFL's out there. I had been told previously that they were all passive. Relax my friend. Go play your bass :)

20. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Not to wear it out too much, buy VFL pickups are active. There are passive pickups in a VFL shell, (which seems to be what you have) but those are not VFL pickups. The low impedance design of the VFL requires a preamp to create sufficient output level.