1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Fury vs Peavey Forum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by segina, May 10, 2019.

1. segina

segina

Apr 12, 2019
    Hello all,

I have been looking for a Peavey Fury for a while but recently in the process I came across a Peavey Forum so I was wondering home much difference is there between the two models from the pic's the Forum has a j style bridge pickup so its more of a P/J configuration but was hoping somebody hear could give me a little more info. Any thoughts and comments appreciated

chris

Cowboy in Latvia likes this.
  2. There have been at least two versions made, one that is a P bass and another bass;) that was a rebadged version of different bass sold under a previous name ( Peavey just did things like that). Reverb has quite few Peavey used basses you might enjoy gassing over.

segina likes this.
  3. Just looked at reverb.com at the Fury and Forum bssses. There is a Forum in a PJ and a few Fury basses with a Precision pup. My preference would be a Fury. I never could get into the PJ setup.
    Peaveys from that era had thin jazz bass necks. They also could be very heavy, but boy, the tone was great! I wish you well with whatever you do.

segina likes this.
  4. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    There are 4 versions of the Peavey Fury. The original slant-pickup, the p-bass that followed, and the single and double humbucker models made in Asia.
    fury1.jpg fury2.jpg fury3.jpg fury4.jpg
    There are also 2 versions of the P/J style Forum - the Forum and the Forum Plus (the Plus has active electronics).

I assume the Fury you're talking about is the 2nd gen model with the split humbucker, and the Forum is the standard model.
    As far as sound goes, the differences between the two are what you would expect between a P and a P/J. Otherwise, the Forum will be lighter in weight than the Fury, and the neck of the Forum will have a smooth, matte finish as compared to the poly finish on the neck of the Fury.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    tlite, wintremute and segina like this.
  5. segina

segina

Apr 12, 2019
    I think I'm gonna keep looking for a USA Fury, thanks guys you've been a big help.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There were at least two Forums. The first had Stingray sized humbucker at the Precision pickup position and a two band eq. The second was PJ. As for the Fury, both the slanted Super Ferrite and the split pickup work just fine.

segina likes this.
  7. segina

segina

Apr 12, 2019
    Thanks for the help I just closed the deal on a '93 Fury cant wait to get my hand on it! I'm pretty sure I want to put flats on it any suggestions?

8. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Just a clarification. IIRC, the first forum bass was nothing more than the last generation of USA Fury with a J pickup added and a different name. Otherwise the same neck, body, etc.

These are not very common but the two I've played were fine. If the OP prefers a P to a PJ then he made the right choice. Furys are much more common and likely cheaper.

segina and alanloomis1980 like this.
  9. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I had a forum. Sounded and played great but heavy. .I think you made a good call. I heard you can write directly to peavey to get pickguards. So.... tort?

segina likes this.
  10. segina

segina

Apr 12, 2019
    Thanks its white on white now so I'll probably spice it up somehow lol

11. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    As a happy Fury owner, if you got a good one it will be amazing. It won't quite do the F***** P thing without a pickup swap (a bit ballsier and not smooth enough) but will be really amazing nonetheless. If you get a bad one... Just make sure the neck is in good shape and the truss rod works as it should.

EDIT: Still want one of each Fury and Forum offerings.

segina likes this.
  12. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Then there's the Forum AX, with two humbuckers, active. Great demo here (this guy does the *best* demos)

13. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    The humbucker equipped Forum, Forum AX and Forum 5 are good instruments. However they are different in almost every way from the Fury based models.

As it happens, it's the wider p style necks of the later Forums that attract me to them. It's one of the only 34" basses that still tempt me from time to time.

There is a pretty good article about them online from vintage guitar mag that I can't seem to link here but it's easy to find.

segina and comatosedragon like this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you are a person who likes Stingray 5 string spacing, a Forum 5 is a great alternative. Similarly, if want a somewhat Ken Smith/Sadowsky Modern sound on a budget and don’t mind closer string spacing a Forum 5 is a great alternative too.

segina, tindrum and JPaulGeddy like this.
  15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Super Fury fan here! (Split P type) It's a P bass with a little more cojones, and a fantastic neck. Don't change anything, but put some T.I. Flats on it and you will be in love forever.

And yes - Peavey's excellent Customer Service may still have a pickguard for it. Be aware that there are at least 2 different style pickguards for this model with straight and flat bottoms. Easy enough to get a new one from Pickguardian, Jeannie, and many others.

segina and Clutchcargo like this.
  16. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    So it's fairly narrow? That would be a dealbreaker for me as I tend to like wider string and nut spacing.
    The 4 still calls my name though...

17. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    I had the forum PJ. It was not typical. The J pickup worked more like a tone variation pickup, not having so much of a voice of it's own. That said, it was quite variable and had a great voice.
    G&L makes a similar PJ setup, just can't remember the model.
    While the G&L has no tone control, the Peavey did.
    A very different and practical PJ it was. Like so many others over the years, it got flipped for something new I wanted to try.

segina likes this.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The spacing is narrow, but the neck is chunky like a Stingray 5 or a Spector. For some reason, narrow spacing and thick necks work better for me than narrow spacing thin necks like Ibanez Soundgear Basses.

19. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    SB-2

Clutchcargo likes this.
  20. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    That's the one !

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021