1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Headliner 410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by njones89, May 4, 2017.

1. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    My budget is around $100 cash or $400 on Sweetwater, and I want a solid, versatile 410 cab. I'd love a GK Neo... or something that will handle up to 800w for when I get a 1001RB. What I can find locally are some Hartke XLs, a Hydrive, and a Fender Rumble. Everything is used and priced as new over 100-200 over brand new retail!!! The Hartke cabs have been collecting dust at that shop for over two years now. Maybe they don't want to actually sell them?

Anyway, looking on Sweetwater, the Peavey 410 is really the only cab that fits my specs, and it has 5 star customer ratings. I'm wanting some feedback from those who own one. Thanks.

2. I have a much older Peavey, the 410TX.
    Like the Headliner it was their budget model, 8 ohms, similar power handling.
    They came with a passive crossover and a tweeter, but I eventually removed them so it's as similar as can be to the new model.
    Dimensions are the same I believe, and materials are too. Ugh, carpet.
    Only major difference is that mine has a big port tube in the back, while the Headliner is sealed.
    No ideal how the drivers compare, but Peavey sticks with stuff that works so the Headliner's probably aren't much different.

It's a good cab.
    Never had any issues, happy with the sound from various heads and rack systems.
    Heavy, but durable.
    Put 4" wheels on it--no smaller. Trust me on this.

If the need arose I would prefer another 410TX just because I like my stacks to match, but wouldn't hesitate to get a pair of Headliners instead.

I can't compare it to most other brands because I never try them. Whatever Ampeg's 410 is, I like the Peavey more.
    And I've run sound for bassists with just about everything over the years, and people find ways to deliver total crap out of some seriously pricey speakers.

My belief is that a "great" cab isn't going to fix bad technique, a bad bass, a bad amp, or bad gain/EQ management.
    Get all those things anywhere close to "right" and the cab suddenly doesn't matter much.

shoot-r and njones89 like this.
  3. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

Big + 1 on all the above!

KeithAlanK likes this.
  4. Hywel Cross

Hywel Cross

Oct 3, 2017
    I am slightly strapped for cash but need a cab to get back into playing after a seriously long lay off (15 years, to focus on drums). I sold my SWR Workingman and Peavey 1x15 Black Widow to fund my drum kit back in the day. I just ordered a Tech 21 VT 500. Sounds SO good. I want a cab that is reasonably cheap and neutral sounding. I know Peavey from what back when, so the Headliner 4x10 seems to be an ok option, am I correct?
    I live in the arse end of North Wales, so getting to Manchester/Birmingham to try stuff out is really difficult. There's a well used Hartke Hydrive 4x10 in Stoke for a suspiciously low price of £200 but Hartke has always sounded a but middle-ey to me. I'm a bit limited.
    Question; Should I just take the plunge and buy a Headliner 4x10?

5. basshusain

basshusain

Sep 1, 2017
    OP did you get one? What did you think?

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just bought a Headliner 112. Great cab for the money. While it may be a budget cab, it's not a cheap cab. Can't speak on the 410 but I bet it's a good sounding cab.

zapped777 and basshusain like this.
  7. gilthethrill

gilthethrill gilthethrill Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Canada
    I found a brand new Peavey Headliner 410 cab on Amazon for $300 Canadian included free prime shipping. It will be here on Wednesday. I hope this sounds as amazing as all the reviews. Just want a 410 sealed cab without a horn. If I like it I plan to get a second one to create my 810 stack with portability. I'll report back with my findings.

8. And?

9. gilthethrill

gilthethrill gilthethrill Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Canada
    Hi. Sorry. I totally forgot I posted earlier.... Unfortunately, the tone did not do it for me. It's actually well build cab for the money. Cool that it sealed. Best if you are interested to actually go try it in a store with your head to see if it's for you. I had to order it here because in Canada on the West Coast there is not a retailer that stocks them.

TexasEdition likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021