1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey series 3 bass combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ironwolf, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ironwolf

ironwolf

Jun 8, 2012
    Firstly i would like to say hi, this is my first post on the site, I recently started playing bass after turning 30 and dropping habits such as too much online gaming!, been playing about 2 weeks and it already feels so good to be doing something fun and constructive.

I have been shopping around for second hand amps, ive always been a fan of older tech as far as audio goes, it seems to have a much fuller sound with more integrity than newer electronic equipment, but anyway I came accross a Peavey series 3 bass combo at 130 watt locally in my area, this is how the item was described but I am still awaiting pictures of the amp atm.

Ive tried searching for this online but can't seem to find much info about a Peavey series 3 combo amp, Im not sure if this is because the seller has the name wrong or because the amp is so old, i spoke to him on the phone and the amp apparently originally belonged to a band called The Animals from back in the 70's so it is an old piece of equipment.

I just wondered if anyone here with more experience has come accross these amps or knows if it is worth buying with a mere price tag of under £100, again i would rather get an older amp than buy a new low wattage practice amp for the same price.

Thanks in advance

2. We'll need photos I think. Never heard of a Series 3 combo from Peavey, but they've turned out a lot of gear over the years, some of it not very common.

3. Sure it'snot a Series 300? IIRC, there was a Series 300 before there was the Series 400 (which I have).

This would date back to the early 70's if that was the case, and I would pass on the combo. It certainly would not be delivering any 160 watts into a 4 ohm load, maybe it'd deliver 160 watts into a 2 ohm load. (The Series 400 is 210 watts into 2 ohms and maybe 140 watts into 4 ohms).

Now, if it could be proven it was used by the Animals, the 1960's band with Eric Burden...nah, I'd stil pass.

4. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
  5. KOakley

KOakley

Sep 26, 2002
    Hampton Va
    If the amp in question is like the one linked to by 1in3, I've got one that I bought new back in the '70s. I still use it for my rehersal space amp and have played countless gigs with it up until approx. '98 when I upgraded my stage rig. The amp has been bullet-proof so far. Buy it, and you will own it forever if my experience is any indicator.

6. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    I think the consensus here is that old Peavey gear is reliable, heavy, and a good value. Opinions vary more on the sound quality, but I've been fairly happy with the Peavey gear I've owned, which included a TNT 130 combo. That amp is still going under new ownership, with a recent speaker replacement being the only repair in ~30 years.

According to my online converter, £100 is about $156. That would be on the high side in the USA, but I have no sense of the value in GB. Maybe one of your countrymen will weigh in.