1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-40 to replace a fender precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stevellss, Oct 2, 2008.

1. stevellss

stevellss

Aug 13, 2008
    I have become infatuated with peavey t-40 basses recently and I was wondering how they are compared to a Precision bass. I have a 1992 fender p-bass that I love, but without any cash in sight, I was considering selling/trading it for a t-40. Would the t-40 be able to produce a precision tone and then be more versatile on top of it?

so the question is, should I wait to get enough money and have both, or will the t-40 eliminate the need for the precision?

thanks in advance

2. T40Chump

T40Chump

Jul 12, 2008
    Plano, TX
    I think you could manage a tone in the neighborhood, but probably not enough to convice a P bass purist. Still, a T will offer lots of versatility and get you grooving in a situation that would benefit from a P type tone.

3. a_ribbon

a_ribbon

Apr 10, 2008
    i have both. the t-40 is the 'jack of all trades: master of some.' it won't do a *total* p,j, ric etc... but, it'll get you close "enough."

you can't beat the t-40 for all around passive versatility but if you absolutely must have the "p" sound and that's what you're wanting to get out of the t-40, i think you'll be disappointed.

however, if you want an a approximation of several classic tones and a bunch you can't get out of any of them individually, then get the t-40.

i love mine a lot. :hyper:

4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    The T-40 is nothing if not versatile, and can approximate many tones you'd associate with another bass. It will come very close to a Precision, too, especially with flats, but something about the feel is different. It may be the slight neck tilt. Also, the body is less comfortable because of its relative heft and lack of contouring. I'd advise you to hang on to your P and look out for a deal on a T-40.

EDIT: I might add that I just used my T-40 on a recording project, and the young engineer, who had never seen one before, remarked on the total absence of electronic noise and hum. That's one of its advantages.

nuhckes8 likes this.
  5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Front pup only, tone rolled back to about "6" (Humbucker mode) will get you pretty close.

6. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    If you can manage it I say keep the P and grab a T40. Actually I think a T40 belongs in anyones arsenal of bases. :p And ok someone has to say it....T40s are also the weapon of choice if its the only thing you can grab to physically defend your self. I don't think a P could handle that. And once you are done, wipe it off, tune it up and rock on...:bassist:

7. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Regardless of what the Peavey is, chances are fairly big that you'll regret getting rid of your P.

nuhckes8 likes this.
  8. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have a T40 sitting among a bunch of basses that cost me a lot more and would never get rid of it. Very versatile and indestructible. Have to agree that you should keep both if possible. It's one drawback for some is that it is heavy and would recommend a nice strap unless you strong and healthy. I am 6'4" and 202 lbs so the weight doesn't bother me. One of my instructor's students has one and can't gig with it because for him it's too much bass to shoulder for 4 sets.

nuhckes8 likes this.
  9. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I've got a T-40 and a modded SX P bass... the peavey is my main player, but it doesn't really nail the P sound IMHO. And my P isn't going anywhere. Honestly... for all that people claim the T-40 is a versatile bass, I tend to only use it in "rickenbacker" mode... both pups with the tone wide open in single coil mode, slightly favoring the bridge. In humbucker mode the tone is too overpowering for my tastes. But that's not to say it's not a great bass... I love mine and hope to get another one soon (ideally black w/ maple neck....)

nuhckes8 likes this.
  10. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Ah yes, my namesake. My T-40 is my main bass. I use it with both pups and the tone knobs at around 5 or 6 (humbangerz) when I am playing with my band. Not sure what this sound replicates if anything. It's awesome and heavy though.

When I am fiddling around on my 15 watt combo I have it in either P mode (front pup with a little bucker) or ric mode with both pups toned to 9 or 10

11. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    I have had many basses in my 20+ years of playing. The only one that has stayed with me the whole time is my T-40. I bought that bass back in 79 and it's been with me ever since. No other bass that I currently own has been with me for even 1/2 as long. I've had Ric's, early 70's Jazzes and Precisions, Warwicks, etc. The T-40 outlasted them all and I would never get rid of her.

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    As big a fan as I am of the T-40, this is absolutely true. There are a gabizzillion T-40's so it's not like you won't be able to find one when your economics are better and you can afford to have both.

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I agree you just cant replace a good P bass. No matter what that sound is true bass to me no matter what i have played by any maker , model or cost. A basic good Fender P bass is the staple of bass IMO. Keep your P and find other another way to get the t-40.

14. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I used a Fender Precision for 2 or 3 years in the 1970's, then replaced that with a Gibson Ripper, then replaced that with a couple of Peavey T-40's. At the time I was convinced that each new bass was an "upgrade" offering better sonic versatility and finer construction.

Admittedly, I have not played a T-40 since the early 1980's, but iirc the T-40 would still offer more sonic versatility than a P Bass

BUT

Three things to bear in mind:
    1) the sound of a good P Bass is iconic, and you may find yourself in a situation where Close Only Counts With Horseshoes & Hand Grenades...the T-40 can get close, but I was never quite able to get that throaty formant that pervades a Precision's tone.
    2) some folks judge with their eyes, not their ears. These folks always seem to be in positions of authority, like the MD of the pit orchestra or the producer of your band's forthcoming album. They won't know what a T-40 is, but they will know it's not a P Bass. They might want a P Bass. (Or think they want a P Bass.) It happens.
    3) and this to me is the most important consideration: I find a P Bass is way more comfortable than a T-40. It's almost always lighter, the tummy cut conforms to my torso better, the fingerboard has a more hand-friendly radius (or rather, it has a radius, unlike the T-40), in general a P is just a more comfortable bass to wear for long sessions than a T-40.

So if I had to do it all over again -- and I couldn't have both basses -- I'd stick with the Precision Bass.

Just my 2¢

15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Among others, I have a couple real nice P's; and I also have a beautiful T-40. The key here is that I have BOTH. As much as I like the T-40, it can't really take the place of a P.

Could somebody survive with "just" a T-40? Absolutely. But personally, the P is a much more comfortable bass. I'm a big guy with Comfort Strapps, but no matter what anybody says to the contrary, the T-40 gets real heavy after awhile. I like having the T-40 to pick up for a few songs or a set now and then. But if I could only have one, I'd have to go with the P. My advice: Keep the P and save up for a T-40. You can always find one for sale, and they're relatively cheap. Just my own humble opinion.

16. LOL..seriously though he's right! it should be listed as a WMD...

17. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    +1

I used to own a T40. Good sounding bass but like the OP I wanted Precision tone and it didn't quite have what I wanted.

It weighs a TON. That was one of the factors that led me to sell it. It may have been the heaviest bass I'd ever played.

18. RobBobBass

RobBobBass

Jul 14, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    I think my T-40 gave me tendinitis in my shoulder, but I would never get rid of it. Have one to have one, but do not have one instead of something else, just a plain workhorse to have in the arsenal. Oh, and make sure you get the model with the "toaster" pick ups JMHO

19. stevellss

stevellss

Aug 13, 2008
    thanks to everyone for the input, seems like I would regret getting rid of the P bass so I will have to be patient and save up. Also, I've seen the 'toaster pickups' on all the t-40's i've seen, what do the other ones that I should avoid look like? Also, are there particular years of production that are better/worse?

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

As others mentioned, T-40s are fairly inexpensive. If you are patient, you will find one in great shape for $250-300. Maybe even less.

I just bought one off a fellow TBer as I had a T-40 years ago and miss having one. It will never get the same amount of playing time as my Sadowskys, Stingrays or Precisions but it is a versitile bass and what else MIA can you find for so cheap?

P.S. These are indestructible. Shovel your snow with it, kill your neighbour with it, etc.

IMO, it is a GREAT backup bass to a Jazz or Precision.