Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey t40 from the 70's....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jul 27, 2005.

1. I see this:
    1970s peavey t40 bass. big, heavey american made, great-sounding bass. two blade humbuckers. has some wiring "issues" (only the front pickup comes through - i'm positive the bridge pu works, it's just not soldered right. i'm tired of fooling with it). 50 bucks!

Should I jump? It looks like a cool bass. Anyone ever played one? I want a bass for motown/funky sounding stuff with thud and flatwound probably. I also want to mess with it a bit since it's so cheap and this is my price range that I wanted for a mess with bass.

Help! Pics! Thanks.

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I would. I want one really bad, but they're rare as rocking horse poo in Australia. Nice ones seem to average $150-200 on US ebay. Personally, i wouldn't make any irreversible mods, but that's me.

Parts, wiring diagrams and support are available from Peavey, but it's not really that complex.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    For $50? Why the heck not? Just buy it!

4. Planning on it! I'll probably go up this friday. I heard these are funk monsters, any truth?

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

These are cool old basses, with a ton of sounds lurking in the electronics.

For $50, as long as the neck is in good shape, you can't go wrong.

My first bass that I bought with my own money was a T-40, and I traded it for an Electra-Westone, and regretted it ever since.

I finally picked up another one last year. It's a keeper. I have mine strung up with brite flats. It is great for fingerfunk, rock, country, motown, oldies, whatever. I just wish it wasn't so darned heavy.

6. ok!

7. Anyone have more pictures for me to GAS over?

8. embellisher

I don't have a pic of my current one. I need to take some.

Here is a poor quality pic of my first one, over 20 years ago!:D

[​IMG]

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

And here's mine which I posted in another T-40 thread, same as Jeff! This is from 1987. I was 20 and sold this instrument like two years later.

[​IMG]

10. Embellisher: I love your glasses! You look far too happy in that picture. hehehe.

Alvaro: Awesome.

I hoep it's a natural finish version since those are t3h sexiest.

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I've said this before but can't avoid to say it again: After I sold my T-40 and tried other stuff, I kept yelling for a long time that the T-40 was a horrible bass, but that was because it wasn't properly intonated and the neck relief wasn't OK. I was a complete ignorant at the time and a good setup would make it play fine. I'm not interested on another of these, frankly because I prefer the active basses' sound. But I'd really love to have one for some days and play it, just to change my judgement now that I have more knowledge. After reading opinions about this bass, I realize that I was very unfair with it.

12. embellisher

I was a pretty intense dood back then.:D

13. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Buy it. Use the money you save to hire a good chiropractor, 'cause you'll need one.

The T40 was my first bass. I didn't think it was possible to make a guitar that heavy, but somehow they managed it. I had an original, with the Tolex (not plastic) case, and even the CASE was heavy.

Just so you know what you're getting into.

14. Well, I'm 5 ' 9" and a football player who's pretty strong and I'm a fat dude so I think I could handle it relatively OK. I'm just going to get a wider more comfortable strap.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

THIS IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Great bass, IMO. I just need to finish fixing mine (it'll never happen. :D )

16. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Was the Tolex case a peavy item?

My '79 came with a tolex case, and peavy told me that t-40's came with plastic cases. I assumed that my case was of another brand, but It seems to be made for the T-40's exact width and lenght. It would be cool to find out that it is an origional case.

17. Ah, yeah, case wise what'll work for this thing?

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Someone on The Pit just retrofitted two Dark Star pickups in a T-40...sorry..can't find pics.