1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

peavey tnt tour 115 OR swr workingpro 15??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by valleybass94, Jul 30, 2012.

1. valleybass94

valleybass94

Jul 30, 2012
    i am very undecided in getting either one of these amps....the price is about a 699 for the swr workingpro 15 at 200watts and the peavey tnt tour 115 is 549 at 600 watts. what is up with these huge differences...anyway i need some help/advice from experienced fellow bassists! please help....thanks. :hyper:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Forget wattage ratings. Either amp will be limited by the 15" driver. Iirc, the SWR is capable of adding an ext cab. This is the most important factor, as speakers, not wattage, is where loud comes from.

3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    My vote is for the TNT. I've owned earlier models and just used the recent one and was impressed by its output. On the website, the vendor specs state that the TNT has a Speakon output for an external speaker.

I owned SWR before, but most of my life I've been a Peavey guy. I found the SWRs to be more tempermental and they overheated. When they overheat at a show, due to pushing it too hard, the units shut down and you have to wait for them to cool down and reset so you can fire them back up. Very embarrassing, been there done that. You can nearly floor a Peavey and it will keep running like a diesel. I'm including a link, read the reviews on the TNT. Good luck!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-tour-tnt-115-bass-combo-amp

4. valleybass94

valleybass94

Jul 30, 2012
    thanks much guys...i guess i may have to consider just gettin a bass head instead, since i already have a carvin 600 watt 4ohm cab.

5. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    The Workman pro 200 is the most gutless amp I've ever used .....
    A club I play on a reg basis has one as backline so I've played the Wpro 200 a lot & I've grown to pretty much hate it.

Took my TCE BG250 when I gigged there last Friday ..... BG250 blows the Workman away 10 to 1!

Go with the Peavey if those 2 amps are your only choice

6. valleybass94

valleybass94

Jul 30, 2012
    not my only choice yet...just not sure what i should do ... but i appreciate the advice :)

7. Combo's are always a trade-off. If you've already got a decent cab, then $500 will buy ALOT of amp head-especially if you pick up a used one.

8. valleybass94

valleybass94

Jul 30, 2012
    I actually tried lookin around for a used amp head...but sadly around my area everything is basicly garbage at bogus prices...but i am continuing my search, thanks for the advice.

9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Did not like the WorkingPro head I owned (briefly) at ALL. Terrible, clacky cold tone and really weak output for the supposed wattage. Never tried their combos, though.

10. Peavey

11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Actually the Peavey Tour TNT 115 has a output of 240 watts RMS as a standalone unit. When you add an additional 8 ohm cabinet the output increases to 300 watts. The amp does have a 600 watt rating, but it's for input power which is the amount of hydro consumed, it's the same amount of hydro required to power 6x100 watt light bulbs. It's not output.

Check the manual for the amp if you don't believe me. It's available for download on the Peavey site.

So the difference between the SWR Workingpro 115 and the Peavey Tour TNT 115 is much closer than they appear on the surface. Buyer beware.

TD

12. valleybass94

valleybass94

Jul 30, 2012
    geez thats horrible...y would peavey advertise their tnt like that.... well i was hopingto have an amp by the end of this week but i guess the search continues :(

13. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    You're quite right, it's very deceiving and not like Peavey.

TD

14. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Regardless, try the Peavey. Forget the numbers and listen to Peavey users. The gear is built like tanks and there are still 30 year old amps out there rocking out. You can't go wrong with Peavey. The TNT will be an excellent amp. Peavey has a bass amp that is the Max 115 that says it has 80 watts of power, but to hear it you would not believe your ears. It gets plenty loud enough for a small to medium venue.

It's hard to buy an amp on specs, because the specs don't give you true indication of how the amp sounds.

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Peavey bass amps bring the volume, no question. Their sound isn't for everyone and they tend to run heavy, but you always get your money's worth on dBs.

16. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Speaking of the Max...the new Max 115 and 112 have a 200W rms class D power section, more features, and a built in DI. Should be hitting stores in September.

You'd think it'd not be like a lot of brands, like the more well known brands. People comment all the time how loud Peavey's are for the power rating compared to other amps. It's really that the Peavey ACTUALLY puts out that amount of power. Peavey did it for the first time on that amp and it overshadows what the amp can do. I don't like it either, but it does level the playing field somewhat. You could play almost any venue with the TNT and an extension cab IF the TNT wasn't loud enough by itself.

17. valleybass94

valleybass94

Jul 30, 2012
    thanks everyone for ur advice...i will give the tnt tour 115 a shot... =D

18. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    For the record, know one said the Tour TNT 115 wasn't "loud enough". Only that the marketing specs of the amp are misleading.

TD

19. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    WOOO HOOO!!!! I saw those for the first time on Youtube. I was on the verge of buying a TNT myself but I'm holding out for the new Max series. Look hot, and the price is right! :hyper:

20. da-picker

da-picker

Dec 19, 2010
    Just to throw my 2 cents in, Peavey has a history of being very durable. Amps from their 70's lines are still in service. I've had a couple of SWR amps, and I can't say they were bad, but I can't say they sounded so much better than the Peavey amps I've used that I could live on the difference.

If it was me, I'd probably go with the Peavey. But I agree with the advice about combo vs head. You can be a lot more versatile with a head and a combination of cabs. Get a 2x10 with a horn and a 1x15 or 1x18, and you can cover anything from small clubs to some outdoor venues. Just take the 2x10 to small places and both to larger.

I have a Peavey T-Max 300 head that works quite well and sounds pretty good too. If I wanted to, I could hook up a second power amp and use the inboard crossover to biamp. But it weighs enough to anchor a battleship already, another amp would necessitate hiring an elephant to haul my rack.

But the amp I'm mostly using these days is either of two absolutely ancient heads, a Sunn Concert Bass from the 70's and a Seymour Duncan Bass 400, from the 80's I think. I've has the Sunn a couple of months, and it has needed a some service, replacing dried out capacitors and whatnot. But when it works, it's the best sounding head I have.