Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey vs. Ashdown vs. Roland..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Suckbird, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    So im looking for a new combo amp and im looking into these 3 right now:

Peavey TNT 115s - 499EUR, 200watt.
    Ashdown Electric blue - 459EUR, 180watt
    Roland Cube 100 - 429EUR, 100watt.

(Prices from Musik-service.de, if you know a shop in EU with cheaper pices, then tell me.)

I'm playing metal, classical, my own stuff and ALOT of tapping.

I want a VERY clean sound and i'm playing a Ibanez BTB 405.

Also, how's the effects on the roland?

Thanks..

2. LaXu

LaXu

Feb 2, 2005
    Finland
  3. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    You might want to wait a liitle while since a bunch of companies are coming out with new combos. I'm waiting for the new Roland and Fender (New Bassman 100/150/250) combos. The specs say they're light and powerful. Just my two cents.

4. I have a peavey TNT 115 for a practice amp. It is noisy and way too heavy for what it puts out. My main rig includes an Ashdown head, but I don't know much about their lower line amps. I have played the Roland Cube 30 and Cube 100 Bass amps, and both offer great sounds and tons of versitility. The Cube 100 would be my choice of those listed for the purposes you mentioned. I am considering getting one myself for practice and rehersals to keep wear and tear off my big stuff.

5. Oh yeah, the effects.

I like the sound of the effects overall. There are some anyoing things IMO, like the octave setting is one of the amp models, so you can't combine it with the different amp sounds. I would like to see it on a separate control along with the T-wah. The T-wah is on the same control as chorus/flange, so you can only use one of those at a time.

The effects are very simple to use, and the compressor actually sounds pretty good too. Cranking the gain knob seems to bring the characteristic of the amp being modeled. So, the SVT model gets a nice tube overdrive and so do the flip-top and Bassman amps. The T.E. and Studio are great for clean slap. There is also, a timed effect knob with Reverb/Delay. I don't find this all that useful for bass, but they sound good though.

Overall, the good far outweighs the bad and makes for a great little amp. The thing also gets pretty darn loud for a 100 watt amp. I would love to see a programable version with a footswitch control in the future.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd also go for the Roland in that power range. I had a Peavey TNT some years ago and found it very midrangy sounding and it weighed a ton. The Roland sounds good and does pump out more volume than you'd expect from a 100 watt amp.

7. When and how much? I was looking for a combo amp as a one piece monitor that can still be heard over a drummer.

8. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I'm heading for the roland but it's a 12inch?

More punch but not as deep as thr 15inches?

9. 12's are the best of both worlds!