Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pecanic tailpiece and wolfs

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by kraid, Feb 13, 2006.

1. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    I've had this wolf on my A string appear recently and I was wondering if one of these tailpieces might be something that could get rid of it without changing the tone the way wolf elminators do. I had one of those small metal ones but someone this summer dropped it and it rolled under a couch or something never to be seen again. I didn't really like the way that it muted the whole string and how my rubber mute had to rest on top of it. I always see those Pecanic ads to the right with them and was wondering if maybe changing the tension for the lower part of the string between the bridge and the tailpiece could be a way to remove the wolf since I think that's how the metal clipping ones work.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I've installed a bunch and everyone loves them so far. It' no guarantee to get rid of a wolf but a positive result is possible. Worth a try if you are having no success with other strategies.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Jeff - any opinion on how the different woods influence the tone?

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I don't think you are gonna here much difference between woods as much as you'll hear the diff between light woods and heavy woods. Generally arco specific playing needs tps in the heavy range and pizz often does well with woods like maple and pearwood.