1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal Order Help :)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jason Lassel, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Jason Lassel

Jason Lassel

Aug 4, 2020
    I currently have the following Pedals
    MXR Octave Bass Deluxe
    MXR Bass Compressor
    Sansamp Bass V2

I have a couple of questions as to the order. Right now I have Bass>Compressor>Octave>Sans>Ampeg Amp. Does this sound right. I also noticed that I love the sound of my Sansamp it pushes a great signal and the compressor kinda limits that. Should I be adjusting the input our output of the compressor.

Finally does anyone have any advice as to how they like to set up their MXR compressor.

Thanks for all your help.

2. Yep that sounds right to me, however theres no harm in mixing it up.

Regarding the comp/Sansamp dilemma, I kinda get what you mean. An overdrive or an amp simulator will often take into account the dynamics of the signal that goes into it, so for instance an overdrive might drive harder when you play harder and less when you play softer. A compressor limits the dynamic range of the signal and i've found sometimes that my overdrives/preamps sound a little dull because of it. What i tend to do is run my compressors after my overdrives but before everything else.

You could try and run the comp at the end of the chain but be aware that the octave might cause it to compress too much when you switch it on, however a) you might like the result and b) you might not notice too much. On the other hand if you are using the sansamp above unity gain (ie to drive a power amp) you might find you are slamming the compressor too hard.

Jason Lassel likes this.
  3. And.... listen while swapping them around in every possible order. You may find a sound you like better than the when they are conventional way. Or you may just find a nice useful sound effect.

JCooper likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021