1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal Power: Embrace the Rat Nest?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Being and Bass, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    So, my pedalboard has finally grown up enough that I became frustrated with the tangle of power cables and started looking for a multi-unit, isolated power supply. Most of my pedals are digital and I play a lot of ambient metal, so I cannot bear any signal noise interference.

But I am not blown away by the multi-unit power supplies. Between cost, durability, noise problems, cost, polarity/current compatibility issues, reliability, and cost, I haven't found anything that impresses me beyond a separate wall wart for each pedal on a giant, surge-protected powerbar.

Anyone else reach the same conclusion?

(Side question: If I stick with a power supply for each pedal, does anyone have a recommendation?)

2. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    A good isolated supply should be plenty durable and not suffer from noise issues. Yes, those will be expensive, but they are very much worth the money. You can also get adapters for different polarities.

I've been using the Cioks/Eventide Powerfactor 2 for a while. I've only recently gotten to the point where I need more outlets, but you can run another supply off of the courtesy outlet and plan to get one once I have a bigger board.

3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Yeah, better to save up for a nice supply. Less chance of noise than many adaptors due to less cabling and fewer connections to the mains. A good iso supply is probably also not more expensive than a bucket of adaptors.

FWIW I run my board of 9 effects (3 are digital) off a single onespat (plus a big Eventide with its own supply) and don't suffer from noise much. Maybe I've got a high tolerance for it.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021