Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal Recommendation / Technique Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rockin982, Feb 15, 2005.

1. rockin982

rockin982

Jan 27, 2004
    NJ, USA
    I've been listening to alot of solo/melodic bass lately - primarily along the lines of Victor Wooten. Particularly his Bass Extremes CD - I thought it was pretty neat to make an entire CD with pretty much nothing except bass and drums.

Listening to this CD in particular, I noticed that usually Vic is hanging back playing a tight groove, and the other bassist playes the melody / solo line - which got me thinking that using a phrase sampler (I have the Loopstation XL), I could eventually learn to play some of this stuff live by myself, laying down the groove lines and then looping those and soloing over them.

My question is kinda 2 parts. Firstly, does anyone have any recommendations on a great multi-effects pedal (or bass synth-type unit) to allow me to easily get different sounds to texture the music? I need something that I can customize to get my own sound, but it needs to be simple enough to operate (once my sounds have been set up) to be able to use on the fly, keeping in mind that I have the phrase sampler to operate as well, all in realtime.
    That probably means it needs to be entirely pedal/footswitch operated.

Secondly (more of a technique question), does anyone have any recommendations about voicing on a 6-string with a phrase sampler so that the lines don't sound cluttered when I layer them? I've found in playing around with my phrase sampler that after 2 or 3 layers, I don't have much maneuvering room as far as my solo lines without cluttering the groove lines. Is there any special trick to this?

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    You may want to try a MIDI setup, using 1 controler to control both your looper and FX. In that case you would need a new looper such as the Gibson Echoplex, and TC Electronic make some great hi end muti effects. And you could control both with a simple MIDI foot controler.

I personal change the tonality ever so slightly with each passage. Different pickup configureations, effects, or simply right hand technique. Like I will layer a deep bass part played at the neck, with a tight trebily solo part played at the bridge. I also play with the octaves as much as posible, playing somthing in the uper range then doubling it in the lower, or "soloing" over it in the same set of notes or scale...

I hope that helps...

cheers

Alex

3. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I am curious about what can be done withe the EchoPlex that can't be done with the Roland LoopStation XL. I was considering the latter and feel its total adequate if not overkill.

4. The LoopStation has no MIDI.

As Tecx noted, you can't control your looper with other MIDI devices.

Fine if you're playing with other acoustic musicians that can play TO YOUR LOOP but forget trying to sync up with any electrnic musicians (like a DJ with a laptop)

5. The BOSS ME-50B might do the trick for you. Lots of sounds and easy to use.

I use the looper (2sec) in the ME-50B and I usually start off with a low synth sound and build up (in terms of sound/EQ and range on the fretboard) to keep everything from mudding up. My last sound is usually clean bridge pickup to cutt through.