1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedalboard configurations for more that one bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jdh3000, Dec 1, 2019.

1. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Here's a question for those of you who use pedals(preamp, graphic eq, parametric eq, compression, etc).

If you carry more that one bass and are say using an a/b switch, are you just running both basses through the same pedals?

It seems like if you tweak sound for one bass, you would need a separate set of pedals for the other bass.

GMC likes this.
  2. Yes, both through the same pedals. It’s not that big of an issue for me. I normally just make a small adjustment of the input knob on my Mesa D-800. Really depends on the basses and the particular pedals you’re using though. I think it’s more of an issue with octave pedals because of tracking and stuff like envelope filters because the sensitivity setting might need to be pretty different depending on the bass. I’ve seen several people use the source audio programmable EQ for that kind of situation though. On that pedal you can save different eq and level presets saved for each bass. I think most folks just get memorize any tweaks they make. But yeah for certain effects it’s really not a big deal. For some like my overdrive it does sound different with each bass but I actually like that. I’m not really trying to make two basses sound exactly the same.

bassbrad and jdh3000 like this.
  3. Each bass has its own specific gain and impedance. It’s also got its own voice. These differences cause dirt pedals to react in different ways. You could play both basses at the same volume / gain level but get totally different results from the same dirt pedals. Digital dirt (like an Aftershock) is a little easier to work with. But dirt tones are bass specific, sorry to say. Which is why one bassist swears by one dirt pedal were another cusses the same pedal.

Redshift Crilly, bassbrad and jdh3000 like this.
  4. I expect different basses to sound different but when there are issues with input gain I rely on a boost or preamp pedal at the beginning to solve that issue.

jdh3000 likes this.
  5. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I'm not into pedals at all really. I've tried but have found I just don't use them much. The only effect I have these days is a Zoom B1Four to play around with some sounds.

BUT....... I do switch between three basses regularly..... Pbass, Fretless Jazz and 8-string.
    My Pbass is my main player and I set the amp for that.
    I recently got a Mozztronics preamp pedal on the recommendation of a friend but found that I could get a very similar tone straight from the amp and was wondering why I bothered however....... I now use it for when I switch to my fretless. Now I don't have to make a lot of changes on the amp when switching basses.... just click the pedal and i'm good.

For the 8-string the normal Pbass amp settings are pretty good but for it I also go through an ABY into a guitar amp for the grind and shimmer of the octave strings.

jdh3000 likes this.