1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pedals to create ambience

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by epic!, Feb 21, 2013.

1. epic!

epic!

Jan 16, 2010
    The plan is to create ambient noise between songs, since it wont be used a lot I dont want to spend a lot of money (sub $50 range). Any suggestions? Should I go for delay, reverb, something Ive never heard of before? Thanks for the help.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I think a nice reverb would be real nice maybe a used Boss or Behringer should do the job.

3. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Not sure you'll be able to get much from fifty bucks, but reverb into a distortion (as opposed to the normal reverb after everything else) can create some really huge and interesting washes of sound.

4. necropain

necropain

Aug 21, 2012
    if i was you i would go for the behringer reverb machine and the danelectro fab chorus use them in conjunction

i use it all the time when i play ambient music

5. delay & verb are the 2 biggies for "ambience".
    not many good pedal options in that price range. Behringer, Joyo, EHX Nano, & maybe some used BBE.
    for <$50 i'd look for an older used rack multi fx box.

6. epic!

epic!

Jan 16, 2010
    I know behinger gets a bad rap (usually much deserved) but I think Ill try their reverb machine.

7. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    A delay can do some mighty fine tricks if you're into that. I used to set is to a long delay with a fiftyfifty mix (or full volume if your delay has only that knob), and run a volumepedal before it. Close the volumepedal, pluck a note or chord or whathaveyou, and gradually swell the volume. The delay should hold the note while you close the volumepedal, pluck the next note and swell that in. Sounds dreamy and ethereal and spacewhaley and good. I used to do this with a distortion in front for a different flavour, but you can experiment with it.

Also, if you have an analog delay, you might be able to set it to infinite repeat and pluck a note, then mess around with the speed knob. It will sound like a record speeding up or slowing down and if you mess around with enough with that it can get to sound like what people in the fifties imagined space would sound like, if you catch my drift.
    I'm not certain any delay will do for that last effect, i borrowed one from my guitarist and it didn't do this. The delay i'd use is an old digitech digidelay, on setting 4.

8. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Reverb is the ticket. Needs to be a good reverb though. The IE Nimbus does a swell job. The TC Hall of Fame...I was on the fence with it when I had it. It does some things well, but its easy to get the bass to sound like mud

9. +1 to delay and reverb being big effects for ambience.

I'll also add a couple suggestions: You might try a Boss PS-5, I've got one and it can do some neat tricks. I've also heard some super trippy stuff from the Boss PS-3. They're on the PS-6 now, so you'll have to find both of these on the used market. I suspect the PS-3 will be out of the $50 range, but it might be worth picking up regardless.

The second would be to see if you can find a decent used multi-effect. Since you won't be using it very much, a multi might have more to play with for the same price... reverb, delay, flanger, phaser, chorus, vibrato, maybe a ring modulator, maybe a drone (sitar) effect like my old Korg AX1B... all sorts of stuff to play around with.

Also, I'm not a fan of EHX pedals at all (topic for another discussion :p), but one of my favorite sources for ambient sound ideas (although I don't really do a lot in practice) are the EHX Effectology videos. Man, the guy that does those videos is an effects savant... I can't even wrap my brain around some of that stuff. lol Maybe you can find some inspiration there too?

5sg.

10. Darkonar

Darkonar

Dec 14, 2011
    Chile
    You can also take the reverb-delay combo to the next level of spacy-ness with a feedback looper, you may throw in a fuzz pedal too for extra awesome points

11. necropain

necropain

Aug 21, 2012
    they do get a bad rap alot but i will say from honest experience that the reverb machine is good. also it tends to souns alot darker than other reverbs for example my RV-3.

if you want i can film a demo of it for you.

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    For nice feedbacky segues between songs I use a combination of delay and a nice sustain friendly dirt box.

13. epic!

epic!

Jan 16, 2010
    Ended up going for the GFS Retroverb. It was a few bucks more than what I wanted to spend but I couldnt be happier. Great reverby ambient sound (especially with distortion) and NO low end loss. I highly recommend it.