Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pedals to replace me-50b

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bob04, Oct 15, 2005.

1. bob04

bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    ok, i need 2 pedals, a chorus and a overdrive.distortion. I am pretty much set on the boss ceb-3 or ehx chorus, butin terms of O.D. i haven't got a clue. I love the sound of the metal O.D. on my me-50b, what pedal would give me this kind of sound, the big muff perhaps?(russian or U.S?)
    thanks.

2. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Interesting question, i love to hear an answer on the metal distortion for use with bass!

On the other hand, my personal favourite bass chorus pedal is the Boss CEB-3 and my 2nd choice is the Digitech Bass multi chorus.

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi there

US Big Muff Pi and BOSS CEB-3

Bye there

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have the CEB 3 and like it. It is nothing spectacular but it has this ability to fit into any sound I may be after. If it were a bassist, it would be a pocket player.

By itself it sounds 80ish. Don't let this sway your decision.

As for your OD/ dist. Well, I have 6 of these things now and I still want more :hyper: I guess I can't help you.

MORE IS GUD! :bassist:

5. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i got the EHX Russian big muff and plan on EHX small clone

here's a relevant question:
    i remember seeing a video demo of some guy going through all the stuff on the me-50b. one thing that caught my eye was where you play a bass line and the effect was that it also plays the exact line an octave higher with distortion at the same time... what is that effect called and can i get it without having to buy the whole mult effect pedal?

6. bob04

bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    i'm not sure what effect that is on the me-50b but i am pretty sure that that is what the akai uni-bass does

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's called an octave up I guess. I can do that with me Whammy.

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    its teh octave up with the hi-band driver feature that distorts only the high frequencies so it sounds like what you heard in that video

9. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    where can i get that in stompbox form? is it the akai unibass as someone said? i could really use that in mah band!

10. bob04

bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    sorry don't know where you could get one, anyway, back to my question, i have been told that the russian big muff can also do some very over-the-top distortion which i think s the type of thing i am after, but would the original marshall guv'nor be good to have aswell/instead?

11. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    bob, i'ma tell you what everyone always says to these type of questions... (i've been guilty of it myself)

GO TRY THEM OUT!!! SERIOUSLY! different bassists have different interpretations of different pedals. some people hate the russian big muff fuzz pedal, i love mine. some hate the 105q Crybaby, i love mine... blah blah blah.

of what i can guess, "over the top distortion" is your definition of fuzz. if thats the case, yes, the russian big muff is an "over the top distortion" pedal