1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Personalization of your bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Semisweet, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Semisweet

Semisweet

Aug 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Yesterday, I took apart my new, yet incredibly filthy with the yuck of a bazillion nasty hands, GC Epi Viola to clean it.

(Original Dirty Viola thread here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/dirty-viola-bass-christmas-838192/)

Firstly, I have to admit, I'm enjoying the heck out of cleaning this thing. Although the strings, pickups, etc. and so on were removed, I didn't disasseble the wiring, but just set it aside per advice given. It surprised me how easy these instruments are to understand from a components standpoint. (It made me want to someday attempt to build my own bass from scratch.) To remove each piece and see what goes where has been an education, and cleared up quite a bit of the mystery.

As I work on the instrument, something keeps coming to mind...personalization. It's mine, it's paid for, and I never purchase anything with the consideration of resell...ergo, I don't care if nobody else wants it if I personalize. This instrument's name is "Thumper", and I think it'd be fun to paint the Disney rabbit of the same name on it. (I'm a professional studio artist, so it's no big deal to do it.)

Has anyone else here had their instrument personalized? Whether it's something like deliberate "aging" (saw a thread on that), or putting stickers all over it, or painting on it, what have people done here to really personalize their bass?

Inquiring minds want to know.... :D

[​IMG]

2. Ursus Tyrannus

Ursus Tyrannus

Oct 9, 2010
    Every time I get a new bass I put on new knobs, an aftermarket neck plate if it has one, and depending on the quality of the bridge and tuners I tend to replace those too. Also half my basses have those fret marker stickers... all in an attempt to personalize my basses.

3. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Jun 7, 2011
    Jersey, CI
    I've drawn all over the front of my POS bass, and written around 200 words on the back of it in random order, song names, quotes and random thoughts! :)

4. I upgraded my Ibby GSR200 to EMG P and LJV pups, did away with the Phat EQ, and only have the VVT setup as I like simple.
    On my new Xavier P bass, I plan on doing a black theme, black knobs, bridge,tuning keys, string tree button, and black pickguard screws.
    My Electra Outlaw X620 im not touching, with the exception of the strings(rotosound swingbass) and I replaced the MPC switches with the original STYLE batwing type.
    Jeff

5. fish552

fish552

Aug 1, 2010
    Oregon
    Epi1.

My Epiphone Viola...great woody tone. I painted the screws on the pickup covers black, "aged" the control plate with brown shoe polish, replaced the control knobs and got rid of the "Viola" wording on the truss rod cover-now just black.

I did have her strung with Fender tapewound strings but went back to the original rounds. I have never been a fan of flats but may try LaBella's one day.

6. fish552

fish552

Aug 1, 2010
    Oregon
    Epi2.

Headstock shot.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wipe a booger on all my basses, just in case someone else plays them.

8. That is meaningless unless they see you do it or you tell them.

9. I added an LED to the front of my Ibby EDB605 so I could tell when the preamp was getting power. I power the onboard pres in my active bases externally via a TRS cable.

10. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    Not basses, but my cheap Mitchell acoustic has a TOMS sticker on it. My old Squier Strat has the pickguard painted black, and soon there will be a Fender Mustang Competition racing stripe on it.

11. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Feb 18, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    License to Groove...
    PHTO0004.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If I pull a practical joke and I'm the only one who knows it, is it still funny?

You bet!!!

13. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    I had a phase where I "personalized" my Stingray, took off the pick-guard and knob plate for a while and had some weird knobs, eventually I decided it looked better the way it came and I put it all back to its original look.

14. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I personalize each of my basses with a fret level and crown, and then I set it up to my playing style. That's about all I do. I thought about building my own but don't see the need as there are plenty of basses already made that do what I need.

15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Mostly its just been swapping stock knobs for the black les paul style speed knobs. An usually adding glowdotz fretboard makers. But of late its starting to include string color choice. Lol. Since fave strings sound wise is Dr neons. I'm starting to like yellow a little more over the blonde spalted maple top. But green kinda works well to. Lol. I've also done some simple glow n dark graphics on some solid color bass bodies. Never tackled doing anything as kewl and detail oriented as the bunny your doing. Lol,

Btw vampyrebunny snarfle aproves of the bunny graphic. Likes. Lol.

16. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please. Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    It's personalized when I put my fingers on the strings and make it sing. My way.

17. Not really, practical jokes are best shared IMHO public jokes are even better. Someone who pulls practical jokes just for his/her own pleasure is a little off.

18. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I pay people to personalize mine :) meaning I have my basses made with my customizations built in.

19. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    My Precision has chickenhead knobs and a Babicz Full Contact bridge on it; I'm hoping to swap in a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 pickup soon, and I'm considering a Hipshot detuner as well.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Your point being...?