1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peter Warren??

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by damonsmith, Nov 4, 2010.

1. I am listening to my actual LP copy of this great release:
    http://inconstantsol.blogspot.com/2010/11/masahiko-satopeter-warren-pierre-favre.html

He was really active in the 1970s in the US and Europe, he made a few albums with Jack DeJohnette and Tomaz Stanko.
    He also made that great album "Bass is" it was a bass quartet + Stu Martin, Chick Corea and John Surman. David Holland and Glenn Moore were on it, too.
    I know he made a tough to find LP on ECM's Japo label, too.
    Does anyone have any info on what he is doing now?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  3. I wonder if that AOL address is still good! Do you ever hear of him working in NYC?

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Not in awhile.

5. I was at our local Jazz Showroom, (ugh....I hate that showroom BS). a coupla months ago hearing some friends and a friend brought up a kinda hippie looking cat to introduce to me. It was Peter. I was confused about his intentions but was in the market for a bass to keep here for stuff in the area because his lady friend was living here. I gave him my luthier Bob Ross' info but haven't heard that Peter's around.
    I'll let you know if I hear anthing more. He said he had a Claudot and a Prescott in NY and Europe or sumpin' like that.

6. Far out. He is a really great player, and seemed to have some really interesting ideas.

7. I talk with Glen Moore on Facebook periodically. I'll drop him a message about Peter and letcha' know if I hear anything. Art Lande may know him too....I'll ask him. Bob said this afternoon that he never heard from him.

8. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    He sounds great on the Braxton record 'Donna Lee', with Oliver Johnson on drums and Michael Smith on piano. I don't always like Braxton's attempts at standards, but 'You go to my head' on this record is incredible

9. Yeah, I have that Braxton LP. He turns up in some really interesting places, almost like a stand in for Dave Holland, but he always brings his own sound to the context.

10. OK, in day two of my Peter Warren research I tracked down another Dejohnette album "Tin Can Alley" on itunes, a great Mal Waldron Trio "Whirling dervish" I could only buy the mp3s from a Dutch website but I did and it was worth it.
    I found a free file share of his long OOP "Solidarity" with Dejohnette, Ray Anderson, John Scofield and John Purcell. Great music and line up! As well as a few more already in my own collection.
    It doesn't seem like he made any dedicated cds, only reissued LPs have made it to CD and MP3. He is really a first-rate player, though.

11. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    "Spontaneous" (Mangelsdorff/Sato/Warren/Blairman) is another good one, I'm sure you'll like it if you like "Trinity". It came out on Intercord first, I think, and then Enja.

He's on "Twet" by Tomasz Stanko, with Edward Vesala on drums, that's a great album.

He's on the Don Cherry/Krystof Penderecki "Actions" album as well.

I'm sure I've got him on some other records that I'm not recalling.

12. Twet is great, I will look around for the Manglesdorf, Alan Blairman is a great drummer, he is on a nice Karl Berger record with Kowald.

13. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    I think you are referring to "We Are You" on Calig ? He's also on Berger's "With Silence" on Enja which also has Masahiko Sato on piano... I'm sure you have the later Albert Ayler records he is on as well. I've got him on some Mal Waldron titles too, and I feel like I'm forgetting others.

I tend to collect stuff by these kinds of somewhat lesser known players who were busy during the 60s and 70s, but I don't have a database or anything and there really isn't a single great online one that has all the lesser known recordings that hard core fans know about. Maybe that's not as possible as it seems, but I know that if the right 10 guys entered all the details from their whole collections into one database it would be a formidable source for free jazz info.

Discogs.com is the closest thing to that which I have seen, but for a guy like me that tends to need info only on fairly obscure stuff it ends up having about a 50/50 success rate.

damonsmith likes this.
  14. Yeah! Adlehard Roidinger on bass. Great bass player! My Ex actually studied with him in Linz.

15. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    I like him a lot too. He did some cool stuff with Yosuke Yamapoopiea.

16. isolated

isolated Zenji Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Bronx, NY
    I think I may have discovered a bug in the "profanity filter" program....

Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 1.26.37 PM.