Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PG52 for recording?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thwackless, Sep 3, 2004.

1. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    O'right, I'm looking at the PG52 for micing a kick drum... got some 'live room' recording sessions coming up in my AMATEUR recording project studio.

Going into a PC via Tascam US-428, Cool Edit Pro 2.0. Triple-C compressor (t.c. electronics item), but generally pretty spartan set-up.

Doing dance-hall type reggae, rock, jazzy improv stuff.

Or should I just go for using a Shure SM58 or 57?

I read a thread on micing bass cabs, they talked a good bit about an AKG D112, and a Shure PG52. Any opinions in this new scenario?

Thanks for any input,

Rog.

2. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    PG52s work great for recording a kick drum. In fact, they're advertised on Shure's site as being a kick drum mic. SM57/58s work fine too, though.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    They do? I've never been able to get a good kick sound on a 57/58.

Joe

4. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Yeah, I used a 58 for the kick on my last recording and I thought it sounded great. I have my kick tuned higher than most people though, and the PG52 still is a better mic for recording kick. If you really want to get a good kick mic, get a beta 52. Personally I think it would be worth the money.

5. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Well, There's the spaced-pair of 57's as an option, and I think it'd suffice to represent a good image of a drum kit in a small room. But if bandwidth is going to become more key (like recording reggae rhythms), I ought to think about bandwidth response and SPL's, I s'pose, esp. if micing the kick drum and giving it it's own track...

But a Beta is definitely out of range at present... that's why the query about the worth of the PG52 as opposed to the 57. So the question's still kind of open, but I'm listening. Thanks for the responses, folks! Peace,

Rog.