1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Jones Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paradog, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Session 77

2. Briefcase

3. Double Four BG-75

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. paradog

paradog

Dec 25, 2011
    Central NJ
    I've been looking at the Phil Jones line, but cant find a local dealer. :(

So I'm hoping the wise councils of TB can direct me here.

I am looking for an amp strictly for practicing. I do use a 5 string on occasion.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can't speak to the session 77 combo, but I have been using the Flightcase amps for years and they are stellar. I use them mostly for DB , but back in 2013 I played a show at the World Cafe in Philly where bass player in the opening band asked if he could use my amp, and he sounded enourmous playing a 5 string BG through it.

((KamiKaZe)) likes this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have the Briefcase model for bedroom practicing and small outdoor get togethers, it does surprisingly well for something so small, even with a low B (as long as you don't push it too hard). Adding an extension cab would probably double the volume. I like it a lot, very very clear sounding.

((KamiKaZe)) likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I can't really vote, other than to say the Briefcase does surprisingly well if you don't ask too much from it. I've never tried the other two though, so I can't give any comparison. But bigger basically has to do lower louder better, there's physics involved. ;)

5. paradog

paradog

Dec 25, 2011
    Central NJ
    hmmmm

6. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    I have a Session 77, and if you're planning on using a 5-er occasionally, then this is what you want. (I happen to have one that is virtually new - only been used 4 times, listed in the TB Classifieds...) Compact, lightweight, has punch for a 100 watt combo.

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    The Session 77 looks promising.
    The double four is just not powerful enough for the low B.
    The Briefcase is OKish, but IMHO it is too heavy, too expensive and not loud enough. For the 700 retail price you could get a barefaced one10 and a GK MB200 head and a cajon bag where it nicely fits in. A lot lighter, a lot louder, a lot more oomph.