1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Jones Bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Krystoof, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Krystoof

Krystoof

Apr 6, 2006
    France
    Hi, everybody!
    Has anyone ever tested ( or possesses) a Phil Jones Bass Briefcase? Does it sound good for a double bass? Please, tell me about it. Thank you guys for your answers and advices!

2. Hi Krystoof.
    No answer for you, but please let me welcome you on TB, and suggest that you fill out your profile with gear, etc.
    That way, people might better help you when you ask a question!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day!
    Regards,
    François

3. I'd be very interested in hearing about those amps too.

After catching a glimpse at one in the bass centre in london a while back i was inspired to start work on a double 5inch cab, but of course it would lack the aluminium drivers.

I've read very favourable reviews on the larger 6 and 9 5inch cabs by phil jones.

4. AFAIK that is just silver paint on a paper driver.

5. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Iv'e had my Briefcase a little over a year. When I learned that David Gage stocked them I took my Fender Jazz and my Kay M1 to test. When I plugged in the Kay it was the first time I heard all the overtones the bass puts out. It is the most faithful to acoustic sound of any amp I've ever used. I attribute this mainly to the 5" drivers. They are good from 50- 15000 Hz and they speak faster than anything else. Of course the amp section is very clean, but so is my Walter Woods Ultra. But I never had speakers like these to play WW thru. I did a test at home , WW driving the 2x5", it was awesome but obviously too risky with the power mismatch to take out. The Briefcase is now my main jazz amp. I use it on every uprite gig except big band. It sounds good in every room, with the 5 band EQ I can always compensate. Phil Jones has just introduced the Suitcase combo, 4x 5" 200 watts, which should cover some larger venues. Supposedly a companion 4x 5" extension speaker is coming. I intend to get one for Walter.

6. hmmm, the 4 5inch cab sounds like a great idea.

might just stop the diy and go for one of those.

I didn't realise the speakers are paper.
    I've been around Hartke stuff too long to assume anything silver is aluminium;)

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I have a friend who owns one. They sound nice, although I prefer a little bigger speaker like a 2X8. If you plan on using the battery to play gigs at log cabins, it increases the weight of the amp a good deal.

Ric