Phil Jones Briefcase

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mchildree, Mar 6, 2005.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Anyone else here using one of these Phil Jones Briefcase amps for DB on a regular basis? I bought one used from a fellow TB'er, mainly out of curiosity, but I've used it on a couple of gigs now and I'm really happy with the way it reproduces the tone of my bass. Seems to be a much more natural and focused sound as compared to my AI Contra. It seems to be voiced perfectly, and sounds great with the eq flat. The smaller size, and certain features like battery operation and the optical compressor are added benefits as well.

I have only two areas of concern...since they are such a new product with a short track record, are they reliable and road-worthy? Secondly, the available volume; it's only 100 watts. I normally don't need a lot of amplification...just a little bit of on-stage support (I usually send a DI to the mains).

Can anyone speak to these issues? My Contra has been a rock-solid piece of gear, and the Briefcase appears to have super-solid construction. I don't have room to keep both (I hate hoarding gear that doesn't get used). I can see that the Briefcase offers a few benefits that the Contra doesn't, but I don't want to sell the Contra until I know the Briefcase is reliable.

Any input would be appreciated....

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The only thing I can offer is that the PJ will likely have a much more clear voice especially in the low end. The AI combos are nice, but I find you get almost an artificial low end with the down firing woofer. Smaller drivers seem to work the best with Double Bass. I think you get a little clearer and a more natural sound.