1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phone Apps to find musicians.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bassbeater, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Hey all,
    I'm putting together my live act players for "Beer Can Vampire" and thought I would install some musician/gig social networking apps and test the tech-water. Before installing a bunch of random apps I wanted to post the short list I made here and see if anyone else had had luck or could share their experiences with these android apps. Feel free to add apps I've missed. Thanks!
    Bandlab
    Vampr
    Fleeber
    GigQwik
    Band Friend
    Melloplot

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Dominos ;)

RustyAxe, Mertle72 and Bassbeater like this.
  3. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I couldn't find that app.
    I found Domino in German by appmax. It looks like maybe booking software?
    do you have the developer info?

4. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    You use it to order a pizza here in the states - comes with a drummer or guitarist delivering it usually LOL.

EdO., Oddly, RustyAxe and 5 others like this.
  5. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Domino's here uses a scooter "gang" that rides like true psychopaths. I would rather have my pizza delivered by Vargas. :)

cdavisshannon likes this.
  6. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yup, drummers and guitarists LOL.

Bassbeater likes this.
  7. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Personally I've found that the "address book" and "making the phone call" are the most effective tools. "Stack of Business Cards" also works well.

Bassbeater likes this.
  8. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    This has been a very productive thread so far. lol.
    I'm going to install a few with the most amount of listed downloads/installs and post if any of them are useful. :D

9. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Or ask a stripper about her boyfriend(s).
    [or girlfriends, I don't discriminate]

10. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I might want to check these out. CL and Bandmix are a waste of time.

Bassbeater likes this.
  11. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Bandmix smells of bots and click-bait algorithms.
    CL is the best way to end up in a Cuisinart.

RoadRanger likes this.
  12. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Kindof funny, my primary care doctor is female and her husband is a drummer.

13. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Self quoting is teh laziezt....

So I installed Vampr and BandLab

Vampr: Seems like it could work in an area with a hot music scene. There just aren't many people on it in France. I think there is one member in my small city. The app is stable, and does what it says. To me it hasn't shown much value yet, but I suspect it will when I am in a better area for music.

BandLab: OK I lied already. I didn't install it because there is a web version and I wanted to try it online first. This one is interesting. It's very collab oriented, and the collab process is made fairly simple. This is good because the site has lots of activity. The downside of extreme ease of use means that there is plenty of very low quality material.

I'l probably stick with these platforms for a few weeks and see how things progress. If I install more or have a epiphany I'll post an update.

Feel free to share your experiences or suggestions as to how to maximize these platforms or others.

-Slimm

14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    It seems that a great percentage of those who list themselves in the kinds of apps are delusional dreamers. Don't waste your time. I prefer to GO where musicians are playing music I like to hear. Attend a jam. Make some personal connections, get introduced around the scene. Nothing works as well as person-to-person networking.

Bassbeater likes this.
  15. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    That was the idea behind using the app. I'm looking for an app that connects musicians in the real world. It's not too efficient to just search for jams, especially where I am right now. Efficient or not, I'll probably start collecting calendar pages from various venues and try to find activity that way.

16. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer!

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    You could always try FaceBook.
    I don't know about France, but it's still used a lot here in Ireland.