1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phonic Powerpod PA packages

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by 757nightmare, Apr 23, 2009.

1. 757nightmare

757nightmare

Apr 23, 2009
    im looking into buying a phonic powerpod 780-s715 PA Package, but before i make a final decision i want to know do any of you have experiences with phonic PA systems? if so do you recommend i make the purchase? it comes with a complete set up and is $399 on musiciansfriend and has 600 watts, but even with all these specifications i still want good quality. so if any of you have knowledge on phonic PA system please tell me based on your experiences if making a the purchase would be a wise move.

would pyle, samson or pmx be good brands as well? and using a different brand speaker such as yamaha? idk a whole lot bout PAs and my budget is $500 even if i have to get sumthin used i will... just need more insight now that phonic may not be reliable quality...

2. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    The words phonic, $399.00 and good quality should never be used in the same sentence.

3. 757nightmare

757nightmare

Apr 23, 2009
    what can you tell me about phonic? and what makes it a bad PA or brand in general?

4. Phonic isn't terrible gear, but it's not great either. It's pretty decent for the money. I would put it at maybe a step or two up from Behringer. You would probably be better off saving a little more and getting a Yamaha setup. Their stuff isn't a lot more expensive, but it's definitely better quality.

5. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    If all you are planning on using the phonic PA for is rehearsals then it would probably work. If you are planning on playing for paying customers then you need to spend at least 3 times that amount to get something usable IMO. With the economy the way it is I would look to buy something used. It's a buyers market and you can get some good deals if you look around.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just a sidenote...

Bill / 757nightmare actually works with your's truly at Roberts Home Medical as an equipment tech. He's a helluva nice guy, good looking, young and single.....in other words, I hate him. I appreciate all the guidance you've provided.

Riis

7. 757nightmare

757nightmare

Apr 23, 2009
    thanx riis

8. 757nightmare

757nightmare

Apr 23, 2009
    just added on to my thread please read

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I owned a power pod briefly. I bought it to use for practices. I really don't think it would have held up for very long. Didn't seem that hearty to me. I understand you have to stick to a budget, but if you look hard enough you can get more PA for your money if buying used.

10. 757nightmare

757nightmare

Apr 23, 2009
    do you know about any of those other brands i listed?

11. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    in looking for the best bang for the buck new i would look at Nady.....while there stuff isn't fantastic it is good for the money you will spend

but +100 on buying used

12. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Look for something used. With the economy the way it is you might be able to get a PA that was worth a $1000-1200.00 new for $500. Edit. I just looked on craiglist in your area I believe[chesapeake/greenbrier] someone has a pair of Yamaha sv115 speakers for $300. Those are way better than anything else you are considering. If you could find a used peavey/yamaha powered mixer you would be good to go.

13. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Yep just saw a Yamaha EMX312SC-BR15 PA Package for $400.00 Yesterday almost snagged it, but our singer found a Peavey deal for the same price with more power.....

14. 757nightmare

757nightmare

Apr 23, 2009
    i forgot to mention i need @ least 400 watts cuz i play metal/rock cuz i plan on playing clubs and parties within the next year and my 1st gig will be @ a local shop for music... and i feel given the intensity of the music i play 400 watts minimum will be suitable then something with less power... but these are all good tips... keep goin i wanna hear more :)

15. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Just to put a good word in for the phonic - they're actually pretty solid, lots of features, moderate power, for virtually no money. They work fine for just vocals at rehersal or a small gig (don't waste time putting instruments through it - if you need that, then you need to spend more).

It totally blows away a lot of the gear I had when I was younger, and trying to put together a cheap PA from what I could find used. I buy ALL my gear used, but the Phonics are so cheap I just got a new one.

I understand the sceptics - you will outgrow it, and could put the money towards starting on a bigger system, but if you just want something to do a job and "get out there", without getting into the whole PA business, then they're great.

Quality? What do you expect for $400!!! Well it's actually a lot better than that, but be realistic. The Phonic wouldn't cut it for most of my current gigs - my main band has a "real" PA, but I would have killed for something that good/cheap when I was starting out.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  16. 757nightmare

757nightmare

Apr 23, 2009
    actually its $500 but has a minimum of 400 watts... and i do need something to plug instuments into as well as a mic

17. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    I go into nursing homes and entertain. I was using three 15 watt guitar amps to run vocals, guitar, and drum machine through. I did this for almost 2 years and my business really grew. I then decided to sell the amps because I got a Phonic Powerpod 410/S710 for $152.00 at Music123. 100 watt 4 channel powered mixer, 2 10" speaker cabinets, 20' wire, microhone, and 2 ProLine stands. For what I do they work perfectly, with power to spare. The only problem was, when I set the speakers far apart, I have trouble hearing the drum machine. I just ordered a used Phonic 620 amp, 200 watt, 6 channels,including 2 instrument channels, onboard 7 band EQ, and a monitor out line so I can use headphones to hear the sound. I paid 199 for the 620 and since the 410 is only a month old, I can sell it, 3 microhpnes, and the 20' of cable, locally here on CL for 140 or 150. I will end up with the 620 amp, speakers, stands, cable, and microphone for 199.00.

The kicker is I can write this off on my business taxes. So it only lasts 2 years. I will have gotten my money's worth and I'll buy another one and write it off for that year's taxes.

18. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Yeah it is not like our landfills don't have enough garbage in them any way.:( You could actually buy something worth owning and depreciated over multiple years for the tax write off too.

19. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    It's attitudes like this that get the label 'gear snobs'. I know everybody's not a gear snob, but it would be better served to try and help people out on a limited budget. Not everybody has money to buy top of the line music equipment. Maybe instead of ridiculing people you could approach it this way: "I personally would never buy any system except such and such, but if you are on a fixed budget and can only spend such and such then this is the brands I would choose and why I would choose them, if I were put in that position"

20. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Well if you would have read the whole thread you would have seen that I gave the OP some suggestions like buy something decent used. I even went as far as looking up on his local Craigslist and gave him a suggestion of what to buy. The thing that irked me about your post was if its garbage and breaks throw it away. We live in a disposable society now. What ever happened to spending more money for something that will last 10 years.:confused: