1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pick em ups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowendVibration, Sep 15, 2008.

1. lowendVibration

lowendVibration

Sep 15, 2008
    Just got my Ibanez 6 string (sr886), i traded straight across for a fender p bass (i also have an ibanez 4 string.)

Im stoked. My focus is reggae and I pretty much taught myself everything up to this point so although I've been playing for five years I still feel pretty uneducated and welcome any tips.

I am thinking of replacing the pickups on both of my basses. My 4 string is so comfertable to me that it would be more worth it to me to change the guts then to find another bass, however I've definately grown out of the sound that it produces. (Now that I've finally progressed on technique)

So i guess that's the path Im going to start with.

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    For stock P Bass pickups, the Duncan Antiquities are really good. A cool combo for reggae would be the stock P with a Darkstar in the neck on either a "blend pot" or a separate volume.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    P-bass to replacement P-bass pickups aren't as huge of a sound change as I've heard in most other pickups as far as I'm concerned.

I'd figure out what you're wanting the replacements to accomplish, then start looking for a replacement that accomplishes that need. Once you articulate what specifically you want to accomplish sound-wise with a bass it's not tough at all for someone experienced with pickups to get you what you're looking for.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    There is a seperate board for electronics, you might get better suggestions over there. There are many different opinions about different pickup brands as there bass brands. But, a good place to start is to figure out what size you current pickups are and see what manufacturer's make pickups that will drop in to your bass. Are they Bartolini-sized or EMG-sized? Or something else altogether? What you have that info, you can start looking at different models. I know Nordstrand pickups are very well thought of around here and they make something that fits in virtually any bass.

Apart from that, look in the TB classifieds as you see used pickups for sale all the time in the accessories board. Could be an inexpensive way to experiment and which pickups work best with your bass for the tone you are after.

EDIT: Guys, I think he got RID of the P-bass in exchange for the Ibby 6er.