Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pick up choice

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Adumb, May 5, 2005.

1. Adumb

Adumb

Apr 27, 2004
    Concord, NC
    what would the best pick up for playing pockabilly be? the music store has a clip on one or something and one that requires drilling in the body. i want to be able to hear the strings, i guess they might be called 'string artifacts' i dont know. any help would be appriciated.

2. Adumb

Adumb

Apr 27, 2004
    Concord, NC
    the music store by my house has a fishman acoustic bass pickup and they have a k and k sound systems bridgemount transducer pickup. which one would be better for rockabilly/psychobilly? thanks.

3. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    K&K

4. Adumb

Adumb

Apr 27, 2004
    Concord, NC
    thanks for the help phil.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love the Clef Revolution Solo, available at www.uptonbass.com. Picks up the slaps without being overbearing and has a great tone. I tried using a transducer and it was very annoying and flat-sounding.

Check out a sample of the Rev Solo that I played at www.traditionmusic.com. Click on the "music store" link, then click the strings FAQ. Barefoot Larry put it up there to advertise his Hillbilly Slap Strings (they're excellent slap strings, BTW), but I cut it with a Rev Solo into a passive DI box with no tonal coloration. Just please ignore the mistakes ;)

6. +1 for the Revolution Solo. Also the Underwood. Some of the finest exponents of rockabilly slap today use the Underwood with one side left loose. While you're at it, all the information you will ever need on the genre is at the message board at www.rockabillybass.com