Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick up guards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coward Of Reali, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I think thats what there called. The metal shell old basses had over their pickups, why dont people use them anymore? Do they still make them? I'd like to put one on my bass.

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Leo Fender invented them a long time ago. They were supposed to shield the pickups (they were'nt grounded at the time) to reduce hum, but teh funny thing is that they did never work.

After Leo realized that, he stopped putting them on his basses.

The Marcus Miller signature and alot of "vintage" fenders has them. you could proably ask fender if you want to buy one.

I just think it's stupid :D

Cheers!
    -Erlend

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    %100 Correct

4. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I personally think they look *really* cool. I think if i buy a jazz bass i shall be buying at the least a bridge pickup guard for it, for the entire reason that it looks cool. looks are important to me, but obviously sound moreso.

5. We old timers call them "ash trays" and I believe the bass looks better with them, myself! I have removed my bridge cover because it gets in my way when I play.

The theory behind the cover was that it caused some kind of magnetic pull between the pickup poles and the cover.

With new technology and most players removing the covers for playing access, Fender just doesn't make them standard on all basses any more!

You can purchase ashtrays here. http://www.chrisbsmusic.com/fenreppar.html
    [​IMG]
    Treena